Fossil Hunting

Dave Bowen

Haha! I finally found some fossils in Memphis!

We went to look at a roof today, and it just happened to be ballasted. (Large rocks that cover some commercial roofs) The ballast is dredged up from a large river, I believe the Mississippi in fact.

Between taking the roof pics and measurements, I managed to pack about 15 pounds of fist-sized flint nodules and a few fossils I found up there into my case and haul them down. :)

It wasn't much, but it's better than nothing, and I got paid to fossil hunt! lol.

post-1882-1251320149_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1251320196_thumb.jpg

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

last one.

post-1882-1251320476_thumb.jpg

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

I've never seen rocks that big on a roof. Usually smaller around here. I don't think they do it anymore since they became air borne projectiles during Hurricane Alicia, in 1983. Is the one full of holes a piece of palm wood?

You hunt when and where you can!!

I hunt "on the clock" sometimes. Hope my boss doesnt get on here.....

Its knap time now! You gonna try to flake some of that flint?

I've never seen rocks that big on a roof. Usually smaller around here. I don't think they do it anymore since they became air borne projectiles during Hurricane Alicia, in 1983. Is the one full of holes a piece of palm wood?

The holey rock I can't seem to figure out. The holes look like those made from a boring sponge, but the rock doesn't appear to be a shell. They have something inside so I'm going to look in the holes with a loupe when I get off work.

The long one is a coral of some kind.

Yes, I intend on knapping the flints. I was going to say I'm going to knap some points, but I end up knapping them down to nothing and no point ever seems to emerge... haha.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Dave you got it bad Cool me too. I went digging though the flower beds at the Doctors office today

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

"Find of the Month" material!

(I'm not kidding; with a back story like that, I'd vote for it.)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, I came home with some really cool flint/chert specimens. Here is one I found last night while knapping some of the pieces.

Anyone know what to call this, or is it just a common formation in chert? First one I've ever seen.

Yea, I think I got it bad.... lol. I hope we get the bid on this roof so I can get as much of it as I want. :)

post-1882-1251391101_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1251391145_thumb.jpg

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Wow, I came home with some really cool flint/chert specimens. Here is one I found last night while knapping some of the pieces.

Anyone know what to call this, or is it just a common formation in chert? First one I've ever seen.

Yea, I think I got it bad.... lol. I hope we get the bid on this roof so I can get as much of it as I want. :)

I've seen about a million rocks like that around NWArk. Classic mississipian chert/limestone, frequently featuring circular banding.

Dave, I am in construction too (electrical). I do estimating so I know when a lot of the projects throughout the Metroplex are about to break ground.

I'm seeing how this can work to my advantage, especially to the west where they have to break lots of rock to get a level grade. It's funny how your

occupation can give you little advantages for such things.

Dave, I am in construction too (electrical). I do estimating so I know when a lot of the projects throughout the Metroplex are about to break ground.

I'm seeing how this can work to my advantage, especially to the west where they have to break lots of rock to get a level grade. It's funny how your

occupation can give you little advantages for such things.

I use to wire Large million dollar homes in ft worth, and it seems there was no shortage of fossils near where they built them. Lunch break i would eat my lunch and then fill my lunch pail with fossils!

Dave..... I bet they were well impressed with your ''careful inspection of the roof''.... Im sure youll get the tender seeing you took the time to view the complete structure.... ;) ....and nice finds......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)