Kane

Great post, Kane! Thanks for sharing your finds!

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Nice finds Kane!  That large greenops is really an impressive size.  Hopefully I bump into you again out there.

7 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Very nice looks like you had a good day  Let me know when you want to go for a weekday trip

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Let's look at the weather for next week and make it happen. :) 

Mind having one (or two) tag-alongs?  I (and Viola) are free most weekdays... :)

13 hours ago, Monica said:

Mind having one (or two) tag-alongs?  I (and Viola) are free most weekdays... :)

It may be a bit rough and dangerous for Viola. :( But that would definitely be your call. The dangers do include some potential for falling rock, slippery slopes, and rushing water. It's not the easiest site to access even on the best of days, and it is suited mostly for excavating with not much surface collecting. Maybe Malcolm can let you know next time he comes down this way to see if you want to make the trip. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Great finds Kane. Congratulations. Your hard work paid off big time again. A lot of wonderful stuff there but I especially love the goniatite. Thanks for sharing. Wish I could be there when you go again. 

9 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Great finds Kane. Congratulations. Your hard work paid off big time again. A lot of wonderful stuff there but I especially love the goniatite. Thanks for sharing. Wish I could be there when you go again. 

Thanks, Jeffrey. :) If you do find yourself up here at some point, I'd be thrilled to have you at this spot. 

Ok, so I did a 6 hour encore at the spot. Not as productive as Friday's adventure, as the shale was not gradating as well due to some pinch-out/pulse issue in the strata. More massive slabs were ripped out, but they were misbehaving.

Still, some ok finds for the day...

Of the Greenops, only one is complete... But, significant parts of it is stuck on the impression side. This happens a lot more often than I'd like to admit. It is above average in size, though. The others are average size, with one contorted and the other missing lappets on the right side. :ank:

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

One large living chamber showing a bit of coiling (~4 cm wide), and one perfect - if dirty - robust pyritized torno.

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5011.JPG

Longest and most detailed piece(s) of Devonian carbonized plant matter I've seen in the Widder Fm. That was interesting find 1 of 2 for the day.

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

Finally, whatever this may be. Fish part? I was able to remove some of the matrix, and tried to boost the contrast to make some of the features more visible. There seems to be a curious thin line running from it... Not sure if that is a worm burrow or part of this organism.

IMG_5007.JPG

fullsizeoutput_481.jpeg

And here are two closeups of that piece. The "burrow" looks to be part of the organism. I've marked up a few of the features. The blue arrows indicate that it goes further into the matrix, and the red line indicates the left boundary.

The features in yellow are zoomed in on the second image.

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5017.JPG

My guess on the last one would be phylocarid. Do not think it is fish

You may be right! I’ll see if I can remove a bit more.

I wonder what you'll do with the trilobites/brach.

Trilobites using one as a blankie? :D:P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I'll second Malcolm's assessment. That mystery piece does resemble a phyllocarid telson.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

3 minutes ago, Northern Sharks said:

I'll second Malcolm's assessment. That mystery piece does resemble a phyllocarid telson.

It seems to match up that way. The one thing that confuses me is that it appears as though it folded in half so that the telson is on top of the front plate. Someone has been folding the phyllocarids. :D It's a fairly healthy size, too (a bit more than 6 cm wide). 

• 1 month later...

And another 6 hours was had at my spot. It wasn't the best day, but neither was it the worst. The weather was perfect: overcast and about 16 C, so it wasn't a scorcher. It had been a month since I've been out in the field due to scheduling conflicts and weather, so it was great to get out.

First up are partial Greenops. I keep these for spare parts for when I tackle the gentle are of restoration. Full ones are not easy to get with this very flakey, moulty bunch, so anything that is more than the gajillions of cephalons or pygidia are usually worth keeping for that purpose. I will sometimes keep a cephalon if it is of an unusual size or has very well preserved eyes.

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG

This one was a heartbreaker. Sometimes no matter how careful you are while working on a rocky pile, the positive vanishes. Pick through each sliver one at a time for 20 minutes or more, and at a certain point you have to just take the loss. However, when they appear in clusters like this, it is worthwhile bringing them home for more than just parts: there may be other full ones lurking within. I had one piece last year that had two, and with more probing there were four total.

IMG_5119.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

A semi-prone on its side, which is not something I find often as they usually come out either fully prone on the bedding plane, or "enrolled" (as in, folded flat like a piece of paper). This one may be worth taking to the prep bench.

IMG_5121.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Full, but disarticulated and missing an eye. Still, there is something that looks neat about it - at least enough for me to take it home.

IMG_5116.JPG

This one is full, but is only just under a centimetre long. These ones are bit tricky to prep as they are even more thin-skinned than the regular sized bugs.

IMG_5122.JPG

And, finally, it can't always be just about the trilobites. These are still uncleaned cephalopods, mostly Goniatites. These do come out quite nice and shiny in their pyritization.

IMG_5123.JPG

• I found this Informative 2