Nature Can Be Cruel, But We Survived

tracer

so anyway, i miscalculated. it was one of those deals where most of the stuff went right, but then everything went wrong, but it worked out all right.

the coast is a mix of different types of waterways, and i'm not an expert on them. sooo...we did fine yakking on most everything from intercoastal to river to mud flats to canals, etc., but the river mouth at ebbing tide was too dramatic. and then the thunderstorms moved in, with driving, stinging, cold rain, and the current had gotten too fast for us to have any hope of getting out of where we were. some serious partiers with highly motorized transportation rescued us as the lightning crashed nearby. i'm leaving out a lot of the details of this little drama, but i just think i feel much the same way about strong current as i do about bears.

so anyway, somebody explain to me why my wallet vacuum thinks it's ok to get this close to a tugboat pushing barges. sheesh.

post-488-12516756888021_thumb.jpg

well, anyway, the day wasn't a total bust. it was interesting, to say the least. and we found a couple of things, including a fairly cool-looking jet black fragment of a mammoth tooth (yes, we're sure).

post-488-12516757906612_thumb.jpg

so anyway, the storal of this morey is to stay away from where current changes with the tides, unless you really, really know what you're doing, which i don't. but i'm learning.

Just a thought, but maybe learn more about boating first:P

You might want those life jackets that are rated the highest. They actually

have some if you don't think you will be in the water long before rescue, and others

if you think you might be in there a long time. Did you know that? I didn't till

I started checking them out...

I do like the mammoth so yes, a very good day.. Especially after rescue

Then you are around to enjoy it..

Welcome to the forum!

Kayaks are fun aren't they :P Yeah Cris and I know a little about current :unsure: Ocean kayaking is a sport in itself let alone trying to fish and get from unsafe to safe during bad weather bad tides and bad paddling all at once. :rolleyes:

well, we were definitely wearing our pfd's, but they weren't helping with the lightning nor doing anything to get us out of our predicament. besides, bobbing around in one's pfd isn't all it's cracked up to be, because i have this thing about being sucked out to sea and all my important appendages danging in waters for hours that i know are completely and totally full of sharks, which are at least as annoying as bears and gators.

You might oughta' suggest to TJ that, if he wants to be a successful pirate, barge tugs are not the most lucrative targets...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yeah, especially when they're riding as high as those were. tj said a guy on the second barge waved at him, but also had a look on his face indicating he knew who was on the bigger vessel.

Im glad you both made it out. At least you learned something and found a little something as well. Good luck on your next hunt.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'