Nsr 8-29-09

danielp

Here are som NSR finds from my trip with snakekeeper. This was my first trip to NSR and boy we definately worked for what we found. I think my 2 best finds are 3 verts fused together, mosasaur vert, a nice squalicorax tooth, and an enchodus tooth.

post-1942-1251687392722_thumb.jpg

post-1942-12516874112285_thumb.jpg

Here are my finds from the trip.Daniel and I walked a country mile or two in our search for some fossils.

Does anyone know the ID on the straight cephalopod.Lower right in the photo.There is no mention of it in my NSR book.

post-417-1251727593433_thumb.jpg

You guys must have been on your hands and knees looking for those. :blink: I love those little shells! :wub:

PS. That penny you found looks to be in really good shape! :D

Actually we do get close to the ground using kneepads and elbow pads to scan the surface.My eyes aren't what they used to be from five feet up or so.I call it scootching along like a seal on dry land.Most people don't concern themselves with the smaller items out there.I like everything that a location has to offer from small to large.

...Does anyone know the ID on the straight cephalopod.Lower right in the photo.There is no mention of it in my NSR book.

Is it not a Baculites?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here are my finds from the trip.Daniel and I walked a country mile or two in our search for some fossils.

Does anyone know the ID on the straight cephalopod.Lower right in the photo.There is no mention of it in my NSR book.

I think it is a small baculite.

Is that a saw fish rostral tooth in the center?

Looks like a small baculite to me. I haqve found several small ones like that with no visible sutures.

Cool finds though, even if it wasn't as productive as normal. :)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

I think it is a small baculite.

Is that a saw fish rostral tooth in the center?

Yes, it is a saw fish rostral root section without the important part -_-

I've never seen a baculite with the flared out section at the top.It does have a crown looking section at the narrow end.All of the baculites that I have found there are straight without a flared section.It reminds me of the Pennsylvanian cephalopod "Orthoceras".

I think it might have been 3 country miles

All right, idiot's question. What's the big red guy?

I think you are referring to the ammonite section.

Here is a whole one "Pachydiscus paulsoni"

post-417-12517527371299_thumb.jpg

When was the water level up??? You can navigate the NSR right now from the 68 bridge all the way East to the 19/24 bridge at Paris.Need a good gully washer out there and the place will be rockin.I'm sure you can manage some nice finds,but I would wait for a decent rain to really stir things up.IMHO

When was the water level up??? You can navigate the NSR right now from the 68 bridge all the way East to the 19/24 bridge at Paris.Need a good gully washer out there and the place will be rockin.I'm sure you can manage some nice finds,but I would wait for a decent rain to really stir things up.IMHO

I went out weekend befor last (8-22-09) and the water was up a bit at 34/50 and FM904 so I went in at 2990, it was substantially lower there (still pretty muddy though).