Fun Filled Fern Glen Formation Fossil Finds.

1nickeless1

I located a great spot Sunday along the Mississippion after looking for abondoned quarries on Bing maps. This area proved to be more successful than a prior Fern Glen location looted of surface specimens. Star Bryozoa found in overburden, as were the others, protected by an army of wary lizards and a large Velvet Ant. I need a saw to extract some of the real good stuff that I found, as these were all acquired without the use of tools, being that I had to hike a ways back and intended to just scout the area. Left the tools and beer in the car. Silly me.

post-2020-12517300040584_thumb.jpg

post-2020-1251730308418_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds. The stars are particularly interesting. I haven't seen those before.

I knew they were in this formation and was surprised to find them so quickly. Here's one. Cooool. And another. Oooh, and another!

I agree nice stars never saw them before

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Guest Smilodon

There aren't many invertebrates that I am fond of but these "stars" are one of them (Evactinopora radiata)They are actually a bryozoan, and the stars are actually the bottoms of the cups where "feathery" arms grow from. They come in 4,5,6,7 armed stars, but it is unknown whether they are different species. Love 'em.

an army of wary lizards and a large Velvet Ant.

You may already know this, but the sting of a velvet ant is about the most painful thing you could ever experience. Farmers call 'em "cow killers"

Great fossils! What part of the country are we looking at?

You may already know this, but the sting of a velvet ant is about the most painful thing you could ever experience. Farmers call 'em "cow killers"

Great fossils! What part of the country are we looking at?

I am in St. Louis, Erose, far away from my native Southern California flora and fauna familiarity. I have encountered this guy before and am thankful my cranial stuffing warned me to leave it alone. The same stuffing failed me when I picked up a copperhead that got a fang in me, surfed in Man-o-War infested waters, jumped off a boat in the middle of the Sea of Cortez with shark fins a'plenty, almost outran(yeah, right)a hurricane with 40' seas in a 55' yacht 200 miles of the coast of Mexico (this story gets much better)among many other exploits. I am learning to be more careful...

There aren't many invertebrates that I am fond of but these "stars" are one of them (Evactinopora radiata)

Thanks for the ID. I was able to find a lot more info on them.

If you put them in a glass jar, you can really hear the noise they make when they are mad.

post-534-12517575328179_thumb.jpg

post-534-12517575596904_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the ID. I was able to find a lot more info on them.

If you put them in a glass jar, you can really hear the noise they make when they are mad.

Heh, make 'em mad. That sounds like fun. Wonder if Diatomaceous Earth would improve it's demeanor? :)

Those stars are just fantastic... Would never have guessed bryozoan.

Are they a rare find? I have never seen them before...

Welcome to the forum!

Guest Smilodon

Those stars are just fantastic... Would never have guessed bryozoan.

Are they a rare find? I have never seen them before...

I don't know that they are rare where they are found, but I don't know that I've seen them from anywhere else. Sometimes the red/brown plates will also have white horn corals and white brachiopods too. Really aesthetic.

I don't know that they are rare where they are found, but I don't know that I've seen them from anywhere else. Sometimes the red/brown plates will also have white horn corals and white brachiopods too. Really aesthetic.

I am new to this and can't be too sure of their rarity, but the contrast in coloration is more clearly defined at this site than the other where I found the brachiopod in attachment pic. Someone else found a brilliant white trilobite in the same dark matrix in my area (St. Louis). If and when I find a trilobite I am going to do a happy dance.

Well would think maybe just a matter of time before you find a trilo and St. Louis, look for blastoids..

Welcome to the forum!

The evactopora are fairly common in the fern glenn, but I don't think that they are found elsewhere. The fern glenn does make for a beautiful display, the brown to rose colored back ground, which is soft and easy to prep, really makes the white fossils pop out.

The velvet "ant" is actually a female, and a wasp. The male has wings.

ashcraft, brent allen

The evactopora are fairly common in the fern glenn, but I don't think that they are found elsewhere. The fern glenn does make for a beautiful display, the brown to rose colored back ground, which is soft and easy to prep, really makes the white fossils pop out.

Evactinopora are also found in the Burlington Limestone. Here is one from Springfield, MO.

post-391-12518316888855_thumb.jpg

They are also found in the Hannibal area. Someone once told me that the Fern Glen and Burlington are equivalent. If so, it would make sense that the bryozoan occurs in both.

crinus

I am fortunate to have the Fern Glen Fm. within 10 minutes of my house! I do like the contrast.

nickeless -

Nice finds! I love the Fern Glen. Have you hunted that old quarry in Pevely? It gets pretty picked over, but can be pretty good after some rains.

nickeless -

Nice finds! I love the Fern Glen. Have you hunted that old quarry in Pevely? It gets pretty picked over, but can be pretty good after some rains.

Hi Xi! Haven't hit Pevely yet. I won't disclose the quarry that I did go to though since it seems closed and I might have been, um, trespassing. I was looking at the ground and didn't see any signs or gates or anything like that, so I can't be entirely sure.

Is that Xiphactinus mounted in your house?

Nick

nickeless -

Are you familiar with the shale layer below the red limestone as exposed at the quarry at Kimmswick? I have heard that it contains sharks teeth, do you know if that is accurate?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Are you familiar with the shale layer below the red limestone as exposed at the quarry at Kimmswick? I have heard that it contains sharks teeth, do you know if that is accurate?

Brent Ashcraft

Have not hunted Kimmswick yet, but thanks to you and the possible prospect of finding shark teeth, it's on my to do list. I'll hit it this weekend and let you know:)

Nick