Fossil id

Tomg

Thanks everyone. There were thousands of these rocks brought in decades ago to keep the shoreline from eroding, that's why I have no natural context. I can tell you there are scores of fossils in these rocks including spiral shells that look like nautilus shells about 3 inches across. But I haven't seen any crinoid stems in any of these rocks (I've found hundreds of crinoid pieces along the shore but none in these rocks). This rock is one of the small rocks, others are 4 or 5 feet in diameter. Here's a photo of the whole rock, and I'll upload one of another fossil on another side of the rock that is NOT part of the one in question. It may help to give it context.

Thanks again!

20180807_193438.jpg

Here's a close up of another fossil(?) On the other side of the rock. This might give someone an idea of age as it's not as worn and may be easier to identify.

20180807_193417.jpg

Edited by Tomg
Grammar

Prasopora Bryozoan Fossil? - Side 2                How about a worn prasapora bryozoan??????

I'm sure that the circular shape is the most common shape in nature and conjures innumerable images in the mind. The fact that this item is so worn leaves it open to much conjecture.

I don't think we can come to a definite conclusion on ID because of this. :mellow:

• I found this Informative 2

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

50 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

I'm sure that the circular shape is the most common shape in nature and conjures innumerable images in the mind. The fact that this item is so worn leaves it open to much conjecture.

I don't think we can come to a definite conclusion on ID because of this. :mellow:

Well said!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, Tomg said:

Here's a close up of another fossil(?) On the other side of the rock. This might give someone an idea of age as it's not as worn and may be easier to identify.

20180807_193417.jpg

This one we might be more reasonably certain about. I would say a weathered rugose coral where the septae are quite visible. At the very least, it would give us an upper geologic limit on these imported rocks as they went extinct in the Permian (although there were mass extinction events in the late Devonian that drastically reduced their numbers). 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer