Orb

brachiomyback

Not a fossil hunt; however do have a hunting trip for you all :)

Did a “walk about” with my two daughters over the weekend at a local forest preserve hunting for “nature”. I attempted to educate them on my limited knowledge of all things in the woods. I taught them some tree / reptile / insect identifications while stressing to stay away from poison ivy (which was thicker than flies on coprolite). We even enjoyed morsels that were complements of some hickory trees. I improvised the extraction of the fallen squirrel snacks with some trail rocks. I had to explain to my youngest that squirrels don’t use rocks to open them. I think she got mixed up seeing a Discovery episode showing a sea otter smacking away at a clam on his belly with a rock. Thought that was pretty funny. I always feel it is better with a “hands on” approach to teaching, which was verified by a big “WOW” when we showed my youngest a downed tree succumbed by beaver. My eldest daughter found the most unique spider I have ever seen. I later was able to identify it as an arrow-shaped micrathena – orb weaver spider (Micrathena sagittata).

I also found a tree frog under my deck gate the following morning that my girls found fascinating. My wife and I got in a debate with her stating that this was a toad and not a frog. “Frogs have smooth skins, toads have bumps.” I stated, “Yes, in general, and that nature is never black and white”. I followed my argument with “Do mammals lay eggs?” I identified the frog on-line as a common gray tree frog (Hyla versicolor) and she concurred with my findings.

The following websites were very informative on my IDs and I wanted to share them in case you encounter bugs and reptiles on your fossil outings and need a source to ID them.[/font]

http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740

http://www.mcmartinville.com/reptiles/trips/id.htm

enjoy......

- Brad

post-986-12517412211235_thumb.jpg

post-986-1251741235316_thumb.jpg

post-986-12517412492212_thumb.jpg

post-986-12517412625468_thumb.jpg

post-986-12517412830018_thumb.jpg

Fascinating animals and really beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing.

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Brad, you the MAN, kindling the sense of wonder in those girls!

There is a great little book you might consider having around (reading level 8-12 yrs. +/-).

"Girls Who Looked Under Rocks", by Jeannine Atkins; subtitled "The Lives of Six Pioneering Naturalists".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You must have some beautiful nighttime trilling from that treefrog, and any friends he/she has.

Suggestion: Teach the girls the fun of tossing a bug into the web and watching Mrs. Spider do her thing!