Florida Fossil Permits Are Now Useless

PrehistoricFlorida

During the week of 7/31/09 and 8/6/09, two men were stopped while fossil collecting on the Econfina River. It was a man with his 16 year old son. Both were using masks and snorkels and both had current fossil permits. The fossils that had been found were examined by the two officers, and were allowed to be kept by the man and his son. The officers stated that they were not sure whether the stretch of river was off limits or not and that they would let them know. This week, the man was informed of his court date because he was being charged with "Removing historical resources from Suwannee River Water Management District (SRWMD) land without proper authorization". As stated on the back of the Florida fossil permit: "In certain managed areas, such as State of Florida's parks, forests, and game management areas, or in designated scientific or historic sites, the existing rules generally forbid collecting. Always check with local or district state-land managers to determine what restrictions may apply to collecting in areas you wish to search."

For clarification, all rivers in Florida are part of some water management district, whether it be SRWMD, North West Florida WMD, South Florida WMD, St. Johns River WMD, or South West Florida WMD. Good luck getting authorization from any water management district. So, basically this means that all rivers in Florida are off limits to fossil collecting, whether you have a permit or not.

During the week of 7/31/09 and 8/6/09, two men were stopped while fossil collecting on the Econfina River. It was a man with his 16 year old son. Both were using masks and snorkels and both had current fossil permits. The fossils that had been found were examined by the two officers, and were allowed to be kept by the man and his son. The officers stated that they were not sure whether the stretch of river was off limits or not and that they would let them know. This week, the man was informed of his court date because he was being charged with "Removing historical resources from Suwannee River Water Management District (SRWMD) land without proper authorization". As stated on the back of the Florida fossil permit: "In certain managed areas, such as State of Florida's parks, forests, and game management areas, or in designated scientific or historic sites, the existing rules generally forbid collecting. Always check with local or district state-land managers to determine what restrictions may apply to collecting in areas you wish to search."

For clarification, all rivers in Florida are part of some water management district, whether it be SRWMD, North West Florida WMD, South Florida WMD, St. Johns River WMD, or South West Florida WMD. Good luck getting authorization from any water management district. So, basically this means that all rivers in Florida are off limits to fossil collecting, whether you have a permit or not.

That's interesting. The FSM has the power to put off-limits any stretch of state-owned land (river bottom) they want. This is a new gambit by a WMD, as far as I know.

Technically, fossils are not considered "historical resources" so there is an issue of definition. I'm certain that there is in state law an established definition and distinction between "fossil" and "historical resource." Did the collectors have artifacts such as bone pins?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Even up here in Canada or even Montana as far as I know: there is a thin

gray line between the two. It all up to the mood of the person with the badge.<_<

That's interesting. The FSM has the power to put off-limits any stretch of state-owned land (river bottom) they want. This is a new gambit by a WMD, as far as I know.

Technically, fossils are not considered "historical resources" so there is an issue of definition. I'm certain that there is in state law an established definition and distinction between "fossil" and "historical resource." Did the collectors have artifacts such as bone pins?

Nope, there were no artifacts involved at all.

It will be very interesting to see how the court decides this. If the court decides in favor of the WMD then we will have a major issue. If it does not then it will go in our favor.

I am interested in the outcome of this also. My main area planned for fossil searching is the Suwanee river area. Wonder where you can find out the what areas or off limits.