Big Tooth

megateeth

I have been on a roll lately. I am sure that it will not last. Anyhow I was not finding much the last few days. I went out after work and made a dive. The currents are slow and the vis. was like 6 inches (great vis.). I look up and saw this tooth just sitting there like someone just set it out for me. I was pretty sure it would crumble as soon as I picked it up. It was pretty exciting. The bourrelet has a bunch op pyrite in it which is like icing on the icing on the cake. It measures 6.31" X 6.25". I got home and had to clean it right up. I am still pretty excited.

post-1309-12517610486974_thumb.jpg

post-1309-12517610588026_thumb.jpg

post-1309-12517610659243_thumb.jpg

post-1309-12517610759149_thumb.jpg

post-1309-12517610826261_thumb.jpg

That is one truly amazing tooth!!!!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

That's a Gold-Standard Meg!

What did you do to make it so shiny?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's a Gold-Standard Meg!

What did you do to make it so shiny?

Not a lot. The teeth I find are trapped in clay and do not have a lot of abrasives rubbing over it for years. The enamel often tends to be in better condition than on Megs from other locations. That is why the serrations on these are so sharp. Still I do I buff out the scratches with a dremel tool that are caused by the little bit of sand that does rub against it.

YOUR KILLING ME!! Congrats on the find!!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

great tooth but it would have been cooler unbuffed. i wouldn't buy a tooth that wasn't sold like it was found. as a serious shark tooth lover, that's my preference.

Great find, I'm sure you are anxious to get back to that spot.I'd have to call in sick to race back to that spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get a few people that request a tooth not cleaned but the majority of buyers like the cleaned teeth. If they are not cleaned flaws are often hidden. One guy likes the display side cleaned and the mud and stuff left on the non-display side. The problem for me is double work. If I post something for someone uncleaned then they do not buy it I have to clean it and rertake photos.

You gave me an idea though. I should put up a page of uncleaned teeth for sale. I would have to post a warning like - warning the dirt pictured may fall off in shipping.

great tooth but it would have been cooler unbuffed. i wouldn't buy a tooth that wasn't sold like it was found. as a serious shark tooth lover, that's my preference.

it's not the "cleaning" aspect that i don't like. it's the "buffing" of the teeth. if a tooth has the dirt or silt washed off of it that's one thing, but when it is polished or altered in any way i don't like it.

my apologies if i was not clear in my first post. like i said, it is my preference that the teeth remain unaltered although i'm sure people do like the teeth when they are polished. but it seems the more serious collectors seem to prefer unaltered teeth.

it's not the "cleaning" aspect that i don't like. it's the "buffing" of the teeth. if a tooth has the dirt or silt washed off of it that's one thing, but when it is polished or altered in any way i don't like it.

my apologies if i was not clear in my first post. like i said, it is my preference that the teeth remain unaltered although i'm sure people do like the teeth when they are polished. but it seems the more serious collectors seem to prefer unaltered teeth.

You were clear I just read it wrong. It is something to think about but I have been doing it like this for years and can not remember a complaint. However the people you are referring to may not be buying my teeth for that reason. For the record, I do not use polish they are cleaners but with the buffing pad I guess it accomplishes the same thing.