I Feel Stupid...

megateeth

Too much knowledge can be as big a hassle. When dealing inmultiple interests the Latin can be very confusing. For example;

Liohetrodon, Lamprologus, Lepidolite, Labidiochromis, Longusorbis, Lachestes, lampropeltis, Liophis.

Which are fish, Reptiles, Mineral or Fossil?

That's what happens when you go from Aquariums to herps to fossil. This is also why I have a very big library.... :blush:

Be true to the reality you create.

ok, well, basically, here's what i'd do. pic as many of the things discussed on here as you can stand and start googling the heck out of them and reading a bunch. the main thing that will tick you off in doing that is that you'll find tons of very specific, scientific articles that you can't read because they're like ten bucks apiece, but you also can find quite a bit of good, technical, free information. i don't buy a lot of books, simply because of the money and storage issue, but i do have a few references on things that are of particular interest.

i find that at least 8 times out of 10 i can get away with saying stuff that sounds like i know what i'm talking about. especially if you throw together weird adjectives, like "i can't really help with that identification, because the symphyseal rugosity is not anaerobic." i have no idea how many people think i'm full of snarge when i say that kind of stuff, but really only johnj normally calls me out on it. auspex just pm's me a reminder to go take some of the "blue pills".

this place is fun.

...I just seem to only post my finds but I have fossil interests beyond my stuff and I do not add much on that to the discussions.

Ask questions about what it is that interests you. That's what this place is for; people who are interested about a certain topic and want to learn more about it. Tracer's idea about reading 'technical papers' is a good one also..Even though they are VERY hard to find online for free. There's quite a few for free here (everyone else interested might want to check that place out.Just search, find what sounds interesting, click it and scroll down to "View/Open").

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Thanks for the link, Cris. Like others here, I'm a student of our passion. Sometimes, I stumble over things I'm learning, or butcher some things I think I know. Eventually, I add to my knowledge (which is contextual). The members here have helped me accelerate that process; thanks. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Life is like a box of chocolates

And some one just poked all the soft one's

I blame it on the Beer, so no one really knows why

And say a day without learning something

Is a day of dumb:wacko:

I always thought you knew exactly what you wanted to say. And it does sound good when you say it. :D But never full of snarge and this place is fun.

i can get away with saying stuff that sounds like i know what i'm talking about. especially if you throw together weird adjectives, like "i can't really help with that identification, because the symphyseal rugosity is not anaerobic." i have no idea how many people think i'm full of snarge when i say that kind of stuff, but really only johnj normally calls me out on it. auspex just pm's me a reminder to go take some of the "blue pills".

this place is fun.

Good advice and a very cool link. Thanks,

Bill

Ask questions about what it is that interests you. That's what this place is for; people who are interested about a certain topic and want to learn more about it. Tracer's idea about reading 'technical papers' is a good one also..Even though they are VERY hard to find online for free. There's quite a few for free here (everyone else interested might want to check that place out.Just search, find what sounds interesting, click it and scroll down to "View/Open").

This place IS fun, and we all have stuff to learn (me more than most!) You have what many consider the "Holy Grail" - large megs, on a routine basis too :wub: There are just as many who don't care for shark teeth, but prefer collecting totally different material. What joins us all is a love (passion? obsession?) for fossils and the hunt, because one never knows what might be found next. The best things found in the Forum are comraderie, knowledge, community and fun - so enjoy and don't worry about just posting a "cool" comment - that can mean just as much on a post as a long treatise on why you should not feel stupid.. oh wait, that is what I am doing ... :blush: