Fossils from Pilatus mountain

Kasia

Nice Kasia, you had a lot of fun.:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

52 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Nice Kasia, you had a lot of fun.:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

Thanks, I hope you like the pictures :)

• 3 years later...
On 8/18/2018 at 9:42 PM, Kasia said:

OK :) Here we go: tiny ammonites from Liesberg

IMG_20180816_183156.jpgIMG_20180816_183208.jpg

On 8/18/2018 at 9:45 PM, Kasia said:

And some brachiopods from the same location:

IMG_20180816_183616.jpg

Wow! How did you manage to find all those pyritised ammonites? I recently visited the Andil quarry at Liesberg, but had no luck at all finding any ammonites. Nor too many brachiopods, for that matter. My approach in the Renggeri-Clay was to break parts off of the cliff and split layers, however. May be you had a more successful approach? Did you rake through the mud, just walk around on the slopes? Since I'm located within a reasonable distance to the quarry, I might consider going back there if I can figure out how to improve my find chances...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

10 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Wow! How did you manage to find all those pyritised ammonites? I recently visited the Andil quarry at Liesberg, but had no luck at all finding any ammonites. Nor too many brachiopods, for that matter. My approach in the Renggeri-Clay was to break parts off of the cliff and split layers, however. May be you had a more successful approach? Did you rake through the mud, just walk around on the slopes? Since I'm located within a reasonable distance to the quarry, I might consider going back there if I can figure out how to improve my find chances...

Hi,

first I was looking in the cliffs, too - but after a while I realised it made no sense, so I started walking on the slopes - and once I found out that the ammos were really tiny (namely I spotted one), I started finding more and more in the mud on the slopes. I guess it's a little easier with the sun - they shine, so I think it's better to go there in spring/ summer. 

Best of luck,

Kasia

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

33 minutes ago, Kasia said:

Hi,

first I was looking in the cliffs, too - but after a while I realised it made no sense, so I started walking on the slopes - and once I found out that the ammos were really tiny (namely I spotted one), I started finding more and more in the mud on the slopes. I guess it's a little easier with the sun - they shine, so I think it's better to go there in spring/ summer. 

Best of luck,

Kasia

Thanks! I'll give that a try next time! :Smiling: I didn't want to try that this time as the slopes were steep and slippery with mud, and I didn't spot anything on them. A father and daughter pair did apply this strategy, however, but they didn't appear to have too much luck either. All the same, conditions differ from visit to visit, of course ;)

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett