Toronto Fossils

stubee5

I suggest asking Northern Sharks, he's from the Ontario area and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Guest Smilodon

hahaha!!! :P real sites!!!

Hi stubee5 and welcome to the forum. Check out the topic right below yours entitled "Spies in the Woods" - it may shed some light on things.

Welcome to the forum Stubee. I live about an hour north of Toronto and can probably tell you that which you seek (said in a Yoda sort of voice)

Here's a link you can check for starters

http://www.fossilsites.com/STATES/ON.HTM

In the city itself, I can only think of the Don Valley Brickworks site and spots along the Don River. I don't know what the rules are for either place, but I don't think you can do much at the Brickworks.

If you drive an hour and a half north, to Brechin, you'd be into the Ordovician, and my local quarry. No problems getting in, but you do need to sign a waiver.

Same thing if you were to go east (Kingston/Ottawa area) I've haven't been out there yet, but I've seen pics of the stuff that can bwe found.

West of London, near Arkona, is Hungry Hollow. A great site for Devonian fossils, as well as being "kid friendly". No paperwork here, just go and collect, but stay off the private property

There are Silurian deposits at Fort Erie, but you need permission from the quarry to get in.

You may consider joining the Kawartha Rock & Fossil club as well. They're based in Peterborough, but they do field trips most weekends and seem to be the most active as far as fossils go in the area. There are several other clubs as well (Scarborough, Walker, Willowdale, Brampton) but they are mostly mineral related. Google CCFMS for a complete listing and info.

Hope this helps a bit, and I may be going out this weekend. You're welcome to tag along if you want.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

If you mean the one at Bowmanville, it's only open 1 day a year to collecting and you have to be a member of a ccfms club (central Canadian federation of mineralogical societies)

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

• 2 months later...

Fossils from Bowmanville ON (from Whitby Formation)

1)Triarthrus body , head missing.... from Bowmanville ON Canada. scale 1 div= 1mm. PL

2)Triarthrus multi cranidia plate 1 div= 1/16"

3)Weathered Isotelus (from Trenton / Black River Group)

PL

post-2446-12585095721433_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12585100735337_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12585105133357_thumb.jpg