Entry Points To The Nsr

TXHunter

Wondering about the different entry points to the NSR. I have been to 2990, 34 and FM904. Has anyone tried any of the following, and if so how is the parking and entry situation?

West to East:

FM 3735

271/68

CR 3345

CR 3610

CR 37350

CR 27330

CR 27275

38 @ Ben Franklin

Feel free to PM any responses.

Wondering about the different entry points to the NSR. I have been to 2990, 34 and FM904. Has anyone tried any of the following, and if so how is the parking and entry situation?

West to East:

FM 3735

271/68

CR 3345

CR 3610

CR 37350

CR 27330

CR 27275

38 @ Ben Franklin

There are no fossils, parking, fossil parking, or parking for fossils at any of those locations. :mellow:

There are no fossils, parking, fossil parking, or parking for fossils at any of those locations. :mellow:

Well, I did see a couple of ol' fossils out a parkin' an a sparkin' when last in Ben Franklin. :wacko:

i don't know all those locations and figure you can google map em as well as i, but i've been to a number of locations at nsr, and they basically all had their challenges except for the steps at the amazing ladonia fossil park. and even those steps were a bit far apart for the formerly-youthful tracer.

the quality of access points changes anyway on rivers, so yesterday's easy access can be difficult tomorrow.

the only good way to deal with that beast would be to live near it.

i can tell you though, if the river's totally beaten you down, and you're staying at the h.i.e. in commerce, that the pizza place nearby delivers to the hotel.

Thanks for all the help :unsure:

It's not like I am divulging secret locations, any map will show you these exist.

Ha! I know. I was just hoping everyone would kinda stay out until I get there. :P

Ha! I know. I was just hoping everyone would kinda stay out until I get there. :P

So you the one who bought the 500 KEEP OUT signs off ebay

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I have only been to the access points you mentioned 904,34,68,2990.I can tell you that unless you have a 4 wheel drive parking on the grassy areas on the side of the road can be tricky when wet.The mud in that area is very slick.The banks are very steep as I'm sure you have seen,so if has rained out there at all I would recommend the 34 bridge where you can park on the gravel and walk down the concrete steps.There will be new material to collect if it has rained pretty good in the area and caused the river to flow.

If it hasn't rained that much out there then parking in the grassy areas on the side of the road won't be a problem.

i usually just wear a t-shirt that says "i'm tracer" and park in ladonia and hitch-hike. somebody from the forum always picks me up...

I have only been to the access points you mentioned 904,34,68.I can tell you that unless you have a 4 wheel drive parking on the grassy areas on the side of the road can be tricky when wet.The mud in that area is very slick.The banks are very steep as I'm sure you have seen,so if has rained out there at all I would recommend the 34 bridge where you can park on the gravel and walk down the concrete steps.There will be new material to collect if it has rained pretty good in the area and caused the river to flow.

If it hasn't rained that much out there then parking in the grassy areas on the side of the road won't be a problem.

If I win the lottery, I'm buying you a 4-wheel drive. ;)

i usually just wear a t-shirt that says "i'm tracer" and park in ladonia and hitch-hike. somebody from the forum always picks me up...

You could just wear "the hat", but I guess Officer O'Malley might not give you the ride you were hoping for...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex, you better control tracer or I'll give him a pound of sugar, a cappuccino, and give him a puppy to take home! :D

Auspex, you better control tracer or I'll give him a pound of sugar, a cappuccino, and give him a puppy to take home! :D

There's a You Tube moment....

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You could just wear "the hat", but I guess Officer O'Malley might not give you the ride you were hoping for...

i always want to wear the hat but i don't want to mess it up and everywhere we go is an ordeal, it seems. <glaring in the direction of sleeping beauty's room>

i always want to wear the hat but i don't want to mess it up and everywhere we go is an ordeal, it seems. <glaring in the direction of sleeping beauty's room>

I heard you only wear it on "social" occasions. You might consider employing TJ to make you some paper hats for fieldwork...(let's see - construction paper, tape, stapler, crayons, string, duco cement, acetone - that ought to do it).

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If I win the lottery, I'm buying you a 4-wheel drive. wink.gif

ME TOO - Maybe two!!!! does that make an 8x8???unsure.gif

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

West to East:

FM 3735

271/68

CR 3345

CR 3610

CR 37350

CR 27330

CR 27275

38 @ Ben Franklin

Newto this,

24 Just north of Cooper, left on 128 to 2675 left . Good parking on south west side of bridge(if its dry).

There's a wide ATV trail to the river bed . (easy in and out for kids) I've found good fossils up and down river.

One caution though;it is extremely slippery when wet. Tons of huge oyster shells.

I might be going next weekend,if I can get away.All this rain should have stirred things up.

Happy Hunting!

Newto this,

24 Just north of Cooper, left on 128 to 2675 left . Good parking on south west side of bridge(if its dry).

There's a wide ATV trail to the river bed . (easy in and out for kids) I've found good fossils up and down river.

One caution though;it is extremely slippery when wet. Tons of huge oyster shells.

I might be going next weekend,if I can get away.All this rain should have stirred things up.

Happy Hunting!

Seems like the last time my boyfriend and I went to that location there was alot of trash dumped off into the river, we though didn't have much luck that one day, could've been just over picked. We don't stick to the main roads for our access points but we do use the 24 bridge as one of our locations to put in our kayaks, if you can get to the islands south of the bridge you will find some nice vertebra along with teeth. Also there are alot of geodes formed from the sediment, but most of them are busted open likely from teenagers.

Edited by Lindsey

Lindsey,

The 2675 is where I have gone,that's where I found a verterbrae on my second time out,and there is usually other people there , I tend to walk a while downriver and sift through the gravel bars for teeth.I have a couple of kayaks, I might bring them next time.What's the access like at the 24 bridge? I was talking to one of the locals at a gas station who said the 24 bridge was a good spot for artifacts . I'm planning to be at the 2990 bridge Saturday morning,maybe we'll see you on the river.