Gaping Gila Monsters, Buzzing Insects, Clambering Ungulates: New Finds From Germany's Messel Pit

Nicholas

ScienceDaily (Aug. 25, 2009) — Today, anyone who looks into the Messel Pit, about 20 kilometres southeast of Frankfurt, Germany, will see scattered groups of trees, bushes and grasses. Underlying the vegetation, however, are richly fossiliferous shales. Some astonishingly well-preserved fossil finds were recently recovered by scientists from these deposits, laid down in the former volcanic lake, and add exotic colour and diversity to the Eocene “Messel world” of 47 million years ago. Some representative finds of animals discovered in 2007 and 2008 were recently exhibited.

Find the article HERE!

Mmmmmmmmmmm, Messel :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

...I also like that rat. I'd mount that on the wall in a heart beat!

IMHO, it would look better mounted on the wall in a shadow box...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i can't believe your brain works like that, literally parsing figures of speech that anybody else's brain wouldn't even blink while processing. wow. bet you're painfully aware of your windshield wipers as you drive, huh?

do you ever just have problems not thinking of where your tongue's positioned in your mouth?

(pwned)