Found My First Trilobite!

1nickeless1

Found this 5" x 8" plate in a road cut. It is loaded with coral pieces, brachiopods, gastropods and 25 trilobites one side! I have to do some prep to see if I have anything more than tails and ID what is there, but I am happy to find my first trilos, small as they are at 3/8" each and and in good shape. The pic with the nickle has the 25 but pic is poor. My current knowledge of formations and specimen ID prohibits labeling, please bear with me!

post-2020-12520608985087_thumb.jpg

post-2020-1252060925831_thumb.jpg

i really like "hash" plates like that. i think that plate is very interesting and would be even more interesting with some dolomite shot on it to clean off all the top layer of fossils. looks like nice detail and preservation on the stuff.

i really like "hash" plates like that. i think that plate is very interesting and would be even more interesting with some dolomite shot on it to clean off all the top layer of fossils. looks like nice detail and preservation on the stuff.

I have a bunch of hash plates. They seem like a gathering that ended rudely and abruptly, where the solitary creatures wandered into mud and said "Oh, snarge". :)

I have an identical plate ate home, I believe that it is either the decorah (probably) or bachelor formation, trilobite parts are fairly common in them. But then again I am speaking from memory, which is faulty at best.....

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Hey, congratulations and it didn't take you long

to find your first series of trilobites! That one

looks pretty complete to me...

Welcome to the forum!

Wonderful plate!

I have a real soft spot for "hash".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice trilobite piece , always love finding the trilos .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Really interesting & good looking plate.

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice! I love that Ordovician stuff.

The large librigena are from an Isotelus. I also noticed a few Isotelus pleurons. The small pygidiums might be calymenids. I also noticed rhychonellid(Orthorynchulla ???) and strophomenid(Rafinesquina ???) brachiopods. The gastropods are Loxoplucus, and the ramose bryozoans are some kind of trepostomate.

1nikeless1.....Nice find..... we call them multi fossil death beds.... or assemblages.... its nice to hve the association of a few species together.... well done...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hey, congratulations and it didn't take you long

to find your first series of trilobites! That one

looks pretty complete to me...

Thanks Roz(illa)! I did the 'I found my first trilobite happy dance' for my wife like I said I would!

Thanks, all! I appreciate your appreciation and am enjoying the forum as much as finding, but one question begs; How does Solius Symbiosis order a cheeseburger, fries and a coke?

Nice! I love that Ordovician stuff.

The large librigena are from an Isotelus. I also noticed a few Isotelus pleurons. The small pygidiums might be calymenids. I also noticed rhychonellid(Orthorynchulla ???) and strophomenid(Rafinesquina ???) brachiopods. The gastropods are Loxoplucus, and the ramose bryozoans are some kind of trepostomate.

Wow! That gives me much to work with. I am grateful you took the time to ID these for me!

Cool plate!

I'm still looking for my first whole trilo.

They are few and far between in Texas!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"