Can't Eat It, Can't Smoke It. Some More Hash!

1nickeless1

I went for a drive yesterday to Park Hills/Elvins, MO. in part cycling the computer in my truck to satisfy emissions after installing a catalytic converter and to probe the locals for intelligence. About 100 mi. round trip. I went to look for fertile trilobite bearing grounds and wound up talking with a few people which eventually pointed me to the Missouri Museum of Mines. There I spoke with Art Hebrank for a 1/2 an hour. Turns out he is a high school and lifelong friend/rival of Dr. Bruce Stinchcomb and had some interesting stories. Apparently he (Stinchcomb) lives close to me. Possibly I will pester him. Or do a lawn job.

I found some more hash today, and some big plates with lots of goodies (not pictured), maybe someone can ID the thing by the quarter?

post-2020-12521126915706_thumb.jpg

post-2020-12521127556309_thumb.jpg

I went for a drive yesterday to Park Hills/Elvins, MO. in part cycling the computer in my truck to satisfy emissions after installing a catalytic converter and to probe the locals for intelligence. About 100 mi. round trip. I went to look for fertile trilobite bearing grounds and wound up talking with a few people which eventually pointed me to the Missouri Museum of Mines. There I spoke with Art Hebrank for a 1/2 an hour. Turns out he is a high school and lifelong friend/rival of Dr. Bruce Stinchcomb and had some interesting stories. Apparently he (Stinchcomb) lives close to me. Possibly I will pester him. Or do a lawn job.

I found some more hash today, and some big plates with lots of goodies (not pictured), maybe someone can ID the thing by the quarter?

post-2020-12521129970662_thumb.jpg

I think it's a cephalopod.

Cool plate, with the brachs and bryozoans and all!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think it's a cephalopod.

Cool plate, with the brachs and bryozoans and all!

Thank you , Auspex!

Guest solius symbiosus

Yep, that is what the kids today call an orthoconic nautiloid, but I still call an "orthoceras". I also noticed that one of the strophonemids are encrusted with a cyclostomate cryptostomate bryozoan. Cool!

EDIT: I was drinking when I wrote that. <embarrassed>

My first instinct/guess wouldnt work... but I was thinking of an Egg Case for something similar to the Lightning Whelk... Lightning Whelk Egg Case

Perhaps it might not be a lightning whelk, but perhaps an ancient ancestor?

Anywho, that was my guess, but some sort of cephalopod wouldve been my second...

but I dont know much about fossils and identification yet, so my guess isnt worth a nickle. ;-)

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

try to picture it as just the eroded infilling of the chambers inside a straight cephalopod, which is what it is. the shell which contained all of it is gone.

You guys are good. I found negatives of cephalopods in nearby cuts and discounted the relationship by what I perceived as a lack of air chambers necessary in regulating bouyancy. A taxanomic zygote, I am!

Nickeless -

Why do you say Bruce is your rival? He's a good guy...lives about a mile from me. Has a killer, killer collection!

Nickeless -

Why do you say Bruce is your rival? He's a good guy...lives about a mile from me. Has a killer, killer collection!

Heh, by no means is he a rival of mine. Please re-read, he is a long time friend of Art's. I failed miserably at my attempt at humor, and after searching roadcuts and driving start/stops for 6 hours, 4 beers, grilled steak and some wine I think I'm the funniest guy on the planet. Should have waited to post.

Mr. Hebrank says he is a rather eccentric individual, which is OK with me. I would like to meet him and check out his goods! And yours!

Bruce is a great guy. If you want to meet him, join the EMSP. They'll be making a trip down here this weekend to his Ardeola site for Cretaceous fossils, a very unusual deposit here in Missouri.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Bruce is a great guy. If you want to meet him, join the EMSP. They'll be making a trip down here this weekend to his Ardeola site for Cretaceous fossils, a very unusual deposit here in Missouri.

Brent Ashcraft

Hi Brent, I plan to join EMSP soon when family schedules do not conflict with mine. Wife and kids win every time so I guess it is not really a conflict. This weekend will be girls soccer.

I would really like to meet with the people on this forum at a hunt somewhere. Some of you are real whack jobs. I love it!

Happy hunting Ardeola, Nick

Hey Nick

What is your new avatar? Looks like metal but can't tell what it is...

Let's have a contest to guess it!

I think it's an aerial photograph.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Let's have a contest to guess it!

I think it's an aerial photograph.

Yes, I believe you are right. I think it may be his favorite hunting site...:D

Welcome to the forum!

Person, place or thing? Place

Animal, mineral or vegetable? Mineral

Northern or Southern Hemisphere? Southern

This will be fun!

I will send the person with the correct guess one of my Star Bryozoans, Evactinopora Radiata from the Fern Glen Fm!

Edited by 1nickeless1

Southern hemisphere!

Man, I hope you dole out a clue or two :unsure:

I narrowed it down a bit, don't want to just give it away! :)

Edited by 1nickeless1

I agree! Draaaaaaaaaaaaag it out; you'll get a lot of mileage out of this one. :)