could I have gotten lucky? name the dino

Sonic0627

If you want to buy dinosaur teeth (or other fossils), location and formation is always very important. The first one is a tooth of a theropod dinosaur, the second one is a tooth of a ceratopsian. I don't know if there can be told more about these without location and formation information.

'Raptor' is not a dinosaur name by the way. Raptors is another name for Birds of prey.

• I found this Informative 1

31 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

If you want to buy dinosaur teeth (or other fossils), location and formation is always very important. The first one is a tooth of a theropod dinosaur, the second one is a tooth of a ceratopsian. I don't know if there can be told more about these without location and formation information.

'Raptor' is not a dinosaur name by the way. Raptors is another name for Birds of prey.

Cerotopsian - Hell Creek Formation SD

Theropod - Judith River Formation SD.

Okay, thank you. 

My guess on the theropod is Stenonychosaurus inequalis, formerly called Troodon formosus (not longer a valid name). To be sure I would wait till some of the real experts say their opinion.

For the ceratopsian I would label it Triceratops sp. . There are three ceratopsian species described in the Hell Creek formation Torosaurus latus, Triceratops porosus and Triceratops horridus. I don't think it is possible to bring the ID down to species level.

Hope this helps.

8 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Okay, thank you. 

My guess on the theropod is Stenonychosaurus inequalis, formerly called Troodon formosus (not longer a valid name). To be sure I would wait till some of the real experts say their opinion.

For the ceratopsian I would label it Triceratops sp. . There are three ceratopsian species described in the Hell Creek formation Torosaurus latus, Triceratops porosus and Triceratops horridus. I don't think it is possible to bring the ID down to species level.

Hope this helps.

TO WHAT I UNDERSTAND Stenonychosaurus inequalis HAS SERRATIONS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE TOOTH TO WHAT I READ THIS MAY BE DROMAESAURIAN OR EVEN VELOCIRAPTORIAN DUE TO THE BLOODLINE IN THE FIRST PHOTO AND SIZE . I ADDED A SECOND PHOTO OF THE OTHER SIDE OF TOOTH. 

Capture4.PNG

1 hour ago, Sonic0627 said:

Cerotopsian - Hell Creek Formation SD

In SD, that is the Lance Formation though it is geologically the same.

1 hour ago, gigantoraptor said:

Okay, thank you. 

Hope this helps.

5ba676f8188c2_Troodonvalid.JPG.1b188656fd2f4c32822279603d69578c.JPG

Troodon is still valid, as stated by https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-30085-6
I do agree though that the ceratopsian tooth cannot be given an ID beyond Triceratops sp. as the teeth of each are very similar. 

@Sonic0627 Can you get images of the theropod tooth with a scale bar?  The size of the tooth, the size of its serrations and such, all are important when trying to ID a tooth.

Edited by CBchiefski
Typo

6 minutes ago, CBchiefski said:

In SD, that is the Lance Formation though it is geologically the same.

5ba676f8188c2_Troodonvalid.JPG.1b188656fd2f4c32822279603d69578c.JPG

Troodon is still valid, as stated by https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-30085-6
I do agree though that the ceratopsian tooth cannot be given an ID beyond Triceratops sp. as the teeth of each are very similar. 

@Sonic0627 Can you get images of the theropod tooth with a scale bar?  The size of the tooth, the size of its serrations and such, all are important when trying to ID a tooth.

BEST PIC OF THAT

s-l5009PLTJO2E.jpg

On 9/22/2018 at 11:25 AM, Sonic0627 said:

BEST PIC OF THAT

s-l5009PLTJO2E.jpg

Ok, I was hoping you had another picture which showed two numbers so I can be sure of its length but am going to assume it is a little less than half an inch, in which case it is most likely a tooth from Zapsalis sp. based on its size, serrations, and overall morphology (shape). Do be aware there is no Judith River Formation in SD, it only is found in North-central MT.

Also, I have noticed in several posts you seem to be looking for "raptor" teeth or elements, raptor is a term which scientifically only relates to modern birds, the closest to such a group within dinos would be the Maniraptoran.  Here is a quick overview of that group, which hopefully helps: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsids/saurischia/maniraptora.html

Yeah adding the SD was a typo on my part lol I use the term raptor loosely this is for my son and well I’m not very up to knowledge on species or genes of Dino’s hence why I am on here lol 

On 9/22/2018 at 10:22 AM, gigantoraptor said:

Mhm I thought it was an odd-looking tooth too (this does not mean it isn't a good looking tooth Sonic0627!).  I believe the theropod tooth is from Zapsalis.  The serrations are not prominent enough to be Troodontid.  The third photo of the theropod tooth shows serrations pointing up which I have seen in Zapsalis teeth.  The concavity/bloodline tooth just support my belief.

Whatever it is, its a nice tooth!

On 9/24/2018 at 5:15 AM, Sonic0627 said:

Yeah adding the SD was a typo on my part lol I use the term raptor loosely this is for my son and well I’m not very up to knowledge on species or genes of Dino’s hence why I am on here lol 

No problem and always feel free to ask. I fully understand, wanted to be a "dino scientist" before I learned the word paleontologist. Also, as you can see with my post on Troodon, even for those of us who know the correct names, they change from time to time as we discover more.