Trilobite Identification Help

keldeo072

Hey guys I need some help identifying these possible trilobites. Any information about which part of the trilobite the specimen is, species, etc would be appreciated. All of these specimens were found in Cincinnati, ohio in rocks from the Ordovician period.

These 3 similar looking fossils are about 1 centimeter in length.

20180924_171522.jpg20180924_171722.jpg20180924_171646.jpg

This fossil is 3 centimeters in length. Showing front and back.

20180924_171824.jpg20180924_171844.jpg

This trilobite impression is 6 centimeters in length and 4.5 centimeters in width.

20180726_155107.jpg

IMHO that last one is most definitely NOT Isotelus. Piranha, why that ID? We need better stratigraphy to SWAG that one. It may be one of the less common Cinci bugs.

The others are a good guess, but there isn't much to go on. 

• I found this Informative 1

I do not think the last one is Isotelus either.

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The exoskeleton is not preserved.  It is the internal mold of a juvenile Isotelus

image.png.a5d29adeb0bf0b8481bbf99519f4e934.png

Isotelus figure from:

Ludvigsen, R. 1979
The Ordovician trilobite Pseudogygites Kobayashi in eastern and Arctic North America.
Royal Ontario Museum, Life Sciences Contributions, 120:1-41   LINK

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

If you want to say it is a Pseudogygites kobayash , I think I would agree with that.

image.png.b3bfe9129fe1989516677fdfdf3672dd.png

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

27 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

What's throwing me off as far as Isotelus goes is the apparent "ridge" down the center.

20180925_004233.jpg

The "ridge" is not a morphologic feature.  Look again closely, the "ridge" travels through the cephalon to the pygidium.  The ridge is an artifact of lateral compression.

25 minutes ago, Herb said:

If you want to say it is a Pseudogygites kobayash , I think I would agree with that.

There is no species named: "Pseudogygites kobayashi".  Pseudogygites Kobayashi from the Ludvigsen title is a reference to Kobayashi who established the genus.

The OP stated the trilobites are from Cincinnati.  Pseudogygites is not found in Ohio.  Isotelus is used in that paper to compare the growth stages vs Pseudogygites.

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

22 hours ago, piranha said:

The exoskeleton is not preserved.  It is the internal mold of a juvenile Isotelus

image.png.a5d29adeb0bf0b8481bbf99519f4e934.png

Isotelus figure from:

Ludvigsen, R. 1979
The Ordovician trilobite Pseudogygites Kobayashi in eastern and Arctic North America.
Royal Ontario Museum, Life Sciences Contributions, 120:1-41   LINK

Very well done. The eyes certainly looked like Isotelus but I had never seen a juvenile preserved like that. I stand corrected.

21 hours ago, piranha said:

The "ridge" is not a morphologic feature.  Look again closely, the "ridge" travels through the cephalon to the pygidium.  The ridge is an artifact of lateral compression.

There is no species named: "Pseudogygites kobayashi".  Pseudogygites Kobayashi from the Ludvigsen title is a reference to Kobayashi who established the genus.

The OP stated the trilobites are from Cincinnati.  Pseudogygites is not found in Ohio.  Isotelus is used in that paper to compare the growth stages vs Pseudogygites.

You are correct,  piranha