Is it a fossil from Alps?

adriano

I recently found (on the ground) this rock. I collected it on the top of the Sass Pordoi mountain (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasso_Pordoi), Italian Alps. It seems a fossil, but I can't identify it. What do you think?

IMG_20180929_125446.thumb.jpg.5220ca5fabc84314f05ffe5c6fb97e93.jpgIMG_20180929_125453.thumb.jpg.aab7885d371259dae8b3a59d4eeb591f.jpgIMG_20180929_125500.thumb.jpg.969fd141d1de9e0d7a0e46c40e7d42d3.jpgIMG_20180929_125508.thumb.jpg.227f1b3039a304a061a454e9300308b5.jpgIMG_20180929_125511.thumb.jpg.97a271ceea4e2af9cc605f2511a4b8c2.jpgIMG_20180929_125516.thumb.jpg.8fe9d5e59917c2c7cf2edc3dec55a173.jpg

In the same place I also found this imprint that remembers me of a "Megalodon" bivalve - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalodon_(bivalve), a very common fossil in the region. Other than those two, I didn't find any other fossil in the area.

IMG_20180926_152826.thumb.jpg.fd3d4398bd49beab8f83c0dabd8a02bf.jpg

Judging by the images, I am seeing a weathered piece of sandstone with depositional layering, but not a fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree, this is geological in origin, rather than biological. 

Sorry, but it is not a fossil. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That would freak people out to say "I  found a Meg. on top of the Alps".

I agree, looks to be geological.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 minutes ago, caldigger said:

That would freak people out to say "I  found a Meg. on top of the Alps".

I agree, looks to be geological.

Alps are full of marine fossils...

3 minutes ago, adriano said:

What do you all think of the last image?

I'm not quite seeing an impression of a fossil in that one, but perhaps a close up image would help (as would an indication of its size - a very essential ingredient in identifying fossils).

19 minutes ago, Kane said:

I'm not quite seeing an impression of a fossil in that one, but perhaps a close up image would help (as would an indication of its size - a very essential ingredient in identifying fossils).

I do not have other photos, I left if on the muntain, the rock was too big. The size of the imprint was like a big peach, 7 or 9 cm of diameter. I attach a shot of a Megalodon bivalve that I took in the MUSE museum of Trento (Italy) some days before the finding.

IMG_20180925_121054.jpg

I can now see why you would have given that large rock a second look! If that is an impression of that monster-sized bivalve, one wonders if someone found it first and took it home before you encountered it! :D 

On 9/29/2018 at 10:03 AM, Kane said:

I can now see why you would have given that large rock a second look! If that is an impression of that monster-sized bivalve, one wonders if someone found it first and took it home before you encountered it! :D 

I too think someone extracted the fossil before me!   :hearty-laugh:

6 hours ago, adriano said:

I do not have other photos, I left if on the muntain, the rock was too big. The size of the imprint was like a big peach, 7 or 9 cm of diameter. I attach a shot of a Megalodon bivalve that I took in the MUSE museum of Trento (Italy) some days before the finding.

Do you know the geological age of the sediments in which it was found and its species name?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Do you know the geological age of the sediments in which it was found and its species name?

Carnian age, that takes the name from those Alps... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnic_Alps

Another great reference article is this one... http://www.science.unitn.it/bazzanel/Mountains/Fossili/index.htm

8 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

They find Marine fossil on Mont Everest. :)

8 hours ago, adriano said:

Alps are full of marine fossils...

But the time frame for Megalodons would not be right to be found on the Alps.

The whole interior of the US has marine fossils, but you wouldn't expect to find a Meg in say South Dakota now would you?

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

6 minutes ago, caldigger said:

But the time frame for Megalodons would not be right to be found on the Alps.

The whole interior of the US has marine fossils, but you wouldn't expect to find a Meg in say South Dakota now would you?

Do you know that we are not talking about the big shark but about the bivalve?

4 minutes ago, adriano said:

Do you know that we are not talking about the big shark but about the bivalve?

Yes sir!  Just making light of them having the same name.

Also going to see a movie called "MEG" and have it be about a giant bivalve would be quite a let down don't you think?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 9/29/2018 at 5:42 PM, caldigger said:

Also going to see a movie called "MEG" and have it be about a giant bivalve would be quite a let down don't you think?

Oh, I don't know... it could be a tender heartwarming story of a very large, awkward bivalve that found acceptance as a chef when it created a new delicacy... called people chowder. :hearty-laugh:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

2 hours ago, adriano said:

Carnian age, that takes the name from those Alps...

What species is it?

Thank you.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 6 months later...
  • New Members

Greetings to you all.
I have walked the Dolomites for a few years. They are stacked with fossils. Not only the bivalve ones but also the Meg. teeth if you know where to find them. In the vicinity of lake Garda one could find these. On the top of the Pale di san Martine one can find Corals. When we went to the Brenta Orti della Regina just by taking the lift on the Groste and walking back to the middle station we found the Megalodon bivalves (I think it was around the 14th pole of the lift. Walking alongside the mountain one finds black stones with tiny creatures in them. The last picture to me is a clear imprint of a shell like one can find on the Pale or on the Falzaregopass.
On your third and fourth photo I am not so sure it is just sandstone. Particularly the fourth has a distinct organic form. 

Edited by Jeseni
  • I found this Informative 2

On 9/29/2018 at 4:42 PM, caldigger said:

Yes sir!  Just making light of them having the same name.

I wouldn't go to see a movie titled Meg  UNLESS it was about the life of a giant bivalve.:default_rofl:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!