Vertebra ID?

JohnRich

Likely Bison or Bos Thoracic Vertebra. Big Vert for a big mammal.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'ma go mammoth on this one....

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• New Members

A little more context on this.  It was found on a river bar in Fort Bend county, about 12.5 miles below US 59.  We also found a 9-inch section of badly weathered mammoth tusk and an assortment of small bones and horse teeth in the immediate vicinity.  The fossil material appeared to be washing out of the bank rather than being deposited on the bar.

57 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Likely Bison or Bos Thoracic Vertebrae. Big Vert for a big mammal.

Silly, even with this one in my collection, just failed to look at size......:headscratch:IMG_1453MastodonVert.thumb.jpg.b851a350c589f3ac71e870b877c332c6.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• New Members

What is your picture and your diagnosis?

They look to be close to the same height, but the mystery critter is narrower.

I agree with uncle siphuncle. I've found many probuscan vertebrae on the lower Brazos. Most look more like mammoth rather than mastodon ( yours also). Yours is likely not fully grown as the epiphyseal looks like it is still maturing on one side. Shell seeker has a probuscan cervical (neck) vertebrae. Yours is thoracic. 

• I found this Informative 2

12 hours ago, Lower Brazos Riverwatch said:

What is your picture and your diagnosis?

They look to be close to the same height, but the mystery critter is narrower.

As @fossilusindicates, mine is a Mastodont cervical vertebrae, 9 inches wide and 7 inches high, from the Peace River , Florida.

Yours seems most similar to some Mammoth Thoracic vertebrae that I have seen on internet searches.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Vertebra ID?
10 minutes ago, fossilus said:

The university of Michigan has a website with mammoth (woolly) and mastodon bones in 3d. If yours is mammoth, it would be columbian.  Generally mammoth is more "vertically stretched" in my view vs mastodon.

Try: https://umorf.ummp.lsa.umich.edu/wp/vertebrate-2/

As to sloth, seems larger than mine, but I'm not an expert.

https://umorf.ummp.lsa.umich.edu/wp/vertebrate-2/

13 minutes ago, fossilus said:

From my view, it looks very similar to mammoth, thoracic towards the back (maybe 18-20ish?) or lumbar front, like 1 maybe.  the difference would be if there is a rib attachment indentation on the side which would make it thoracic.

For some reason the first link doesn't work try this one.

Definitely a thoracic vertebra from somewhere in the middle of the torso or possibly towards the back.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• New Members

Thanks everybody!  This has been very helpful.  Based on picture matching, and allowing for the fact that the ones at U of MI are in better condition, it looks to me like a mammoth thoracic between 13 and 15.  It does have some discernible rib attachment indentations, but like the rest of it, they are a bit worn.

Vertebrae id is difficult in my experience.I used to hear that if you look at the neural canal, in sloth it was round, probo more triangular. Reality is much more difficult. Thats why I like the online 3d vis.