Along The Potomac

Hemipitchis

Shark's teeth, shark's teeth, whatcha gonna do? whatcha gonna do when we come for you? ;)

Went with my family to fossil hunt along the Potomac River today, definitely had a great holiday spending time with my family (my two young cousins came along...they're like firebolts, just full of energy, so it's an understatement when I say they had fun today). :P Anyway, thought I'd show pics of what I found...

P.S.- How was everybody's Labor Day? :)

post-1477-12523776663964_thumb.jpg

<Careful, the Texans will guess that the Potomac beaches are paved with shark's teeth...>

Sounds like you had a cool Labor Day!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What? Sharks Teeeth where? I'm on my way...It's going to be a long ride though...Who's in?

I've actually been invited up there to take a boat ride along the Potomac by a forum member.

Now all I have to do is get up there......

Nice finds Hemi!!!

That's just what you found? Dang, lots and lots.

Did the rest of your family find that much too?

Nice trip I'd say...

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks everyone!!! :D

Did the rest of your family find that much too?

Yeah, my family found a good many teeth, my little cousin found herself a 1 inch croc tooth too...she freaked out :P My dad found a bunch but wound up giving em away to my cousins, looking back, I probably should've done the same :unsure:

That's quite the pile Hemi! Did you use a sifter? :)

Nah, (I like using sifters, but lack the patience to use em for long periods of time, personality flaw) just walked along the same stretch of beach over and over and over again, and then walked to another part of the beach and repeated the process then went back over to my family and looked along the beach while they used different sifters to find their teeth. They would've done what I was doing beforehand, but some of em were feeling sore and didn't wanna walk extremely far for long periods of time :(....and they didn't want my cousins wandering off without em either, because those sparkplugs definitely would have :P

<Careful, the Texans will guess that the Potomac beaches are paved with shark's teeth...>

To late I got to go to the Potomac in July and then got to go back with the evil child in August to hunt there some more.

Awesome finds Hemi!! I love the little beaches there, we also filled up some bags with Terettelas. It is definitely one of my favorite spots.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Wow, that's quite a haul! My Labor day was great thank you! Snake keeper, my wife, both kids and myself went up to Denton for some fossil hunting fun.

We found several nice echinoids and tons of Plesioturilites ammonites. We were joined by a very nice lady who was also fossil hunting, and got her truck stuck in the mud on her way out. Snakekeeper and I helped her get unstuck and sent on her way.

It's was nice to get some hunting in while I was home. :)

There's just something about fossil hunting with family and good friends that makes the rest of your troubles fade a little. :) Glad you all had a good time. :)

Edit: I apologize for spamming the happy face.... :|

Edited by Dave Bowen

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Yep in a fashion - although what kills me is that I lived a half mile from the Potomac for 3 years and my parents did for almost 20!!!

And there are teeth there??? Please tell me not as far up as Mount Vernon!!!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Nice finds there!

You finally got to go out collecting again!

Youve made it sooner than I have, anyway. :-p

Seems your family all did good, too!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Yep in a fashion - although what kills me is that I lived a half mile from the Potomac for 3 years and my parents did for almost 20!!!

Yep, probably :) I know my avatar tooth is from the Potomac because that's where I found it :P:D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Heck yeah! We use the big ones as skipping stones.

Actually, on the VA side, Aquia (1/2 hour south) is about as far north as teeth can commonly be found. Somewhere in storage, I have a quart jar full of Otodus from there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!