Maybe A Woolly Tooth

Shellseeker

post-2220-12524418876525_thumb.jpgpost-2220-1252441912006_thumb.jpg

I found a number of fossils at a construction pit in Southwest Florida. This one might be a woolly mammoth tooth, except almost every woolly tooth picture on the web shows a 8-12 segmented very large molar, or even for baby mammoths shows many segmented tooth. So, is this a woolly tooth (2.25 by 4.25 inches)? If so, is it not a molar? I really like the partial tooth missing the top two inches, because it shows the enamel so well. However I would like to see how a complete tooth of this type looks.

Thanks for the assist.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Definitely mammoth tooth pieces. But not "Woolly". Those did not come this far south. It is likely Colombian Mammoth.

Guest Smilodon

Definitely mammoth tooth pieces. But not "Woolly". Those did not come this far south. It is likely Colombian Mammoth.

Fur coats don't work too well except for a few places in Florida

I kept on searching the web because not a single Colombian Mammoth tooth looked anything like this example. Then I stumbled across this site:

http://www.lowcountrygeologic.com/TerrestrialMammalFossils/Mammuthusimperator/tabid/53/fossil/4252/Default.aspx

Looks pretty close, a double root with a deep grove between them and a very similar enamel pattern across the center of the tooth. It is also about the correct size. It looks like most of these examples for sale are "polished" until the enamel cross pattern can be seen from the bottom of the tooth.

Mammuthus imperator == Imperial Mammoth

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

In Florida, it would have to be either Imperial or Columbian.

The primary way to distinguish between the two is whether the tusks crossed (Imperial) or not (Columbian). Since we do not have a tusk to judge for curvature, your fossil may not be identifiable to the exact species.

Get back out there and find the tusks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon

I kept on searching the web because not a single Colombian Mammoth tooth looked anything like this example. Then I stumbled across this site:

http://www.lowcountrygeologic.com/TerrestrialMammalFossils/Mammuthusimperator/tabid/53/fossil/4252/Default.aspx

Looks pretty close, a double root with a deep grove between them and a very similar enamel pattern across the center of the tooth. It is also about the correct size. It looks like most of these examples for sale are "polished" until the enamel cross pattern can be seen from the bottom of the tooth.

Mammuthus imperator == Imperial Mammoth

Shellseeker,

Mammoth teeth aren't built like mammal teeth like yours or mine. What you have is just a small fragment of a mammoth tooth. Rather than trying to explain the whole story here, I think it might be helpful if you google "mammoth tooth" or something like that. Then if you are still unclear, come on back.

You have to remember you only have a very very small part of the tooth. But it could be imperial mammoth hard to say from just a small section of tooth.

go to google, select "images", and type "mammoth tooth" in the quotation marks as shown, and then hit "enter", and you'll see a bunch of them.