You want a fight? This better be coprolite....

InfoHungryMom

Generally, but not in all cases, for something to be considered a fossil requires that there is mineral replacement of biologic tissue. There are several borderline cases (such as in sub-fossils: those that are less than, say, 50,000 years old). These borderline cases can also encompass those remains that are preserved in permafrost, such as mammoths, that will still have their original tissue. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, InfoHungryMom said:

way the ridges have smoothed out on both sides, the color, etc.  mean it is considered fossilized,

Those are not indicators of something (even shell) being fossilized.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I could consider the specimen in question a bioeroded hard substrate, although an ancient boomerang will be good for fight, but I never heard one made of stone. :)

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 hours ago, Kane said:

Generally, but not in all cases, for something to be considered a fossil requires that there is mineral replacement of biologic tissue. There are several borderline cases (such as in sub-fossils: those that are less than, say, 50,000 years old). These borderline cases can also encompass those remains that are preserved in permafrost, such as mammoths, that will still have their original tissue. 

I definitely favor an age-based definition over a preservation-based one for fossils. The definition of fossils as "any non-living evidence of life from a previous geologic time period" covers everything most people consider fossils and excludes many that most wouldn't. Insects in amber, permafrost mummies, and un-remineralized mollusk shells from the Mesozoic are almost universally considered fossils and are protected under this definition yet their tissues are not replaced with minerals. Similarly, a mold of a Jurassic bivalve is a fossil but the biologic tissue is entirely gone and all that remains is a negative impression of its surface. And this all works well with the origin of the word "paleontology" itself: it is the "study of ancient living things."

• I found this Informative 8

23 minutes ago, Carl said:

I definitely favor an age-based definition over a preservation-based one for fossils. The definition of fossils as "any non-living evidence of life from a previous geologic time period" covers everything most people consider fossils and excludes many that most wouldn't. Insects in amber, permafrost mummies, and un-remineralized mollusk shells from the Mesozoic are almost universally considered fossils and are protected under this definition yet their tissues are not replaced with minerals. Similarly, a mold of a Jurassic bivalve is a fossil but the biologic tissue is entirely gone and all that remains is a negative impression of its surface. And this all works well with the origin of the word "paleontology" itself: it is the "study of ancient living things."

I do as well, if only because it can bypass the various exceptions to a composition-based definition of what constitutes a fossil. Where to make that clean break on the basis of age is, of course, liable to some debate, but you have to cut the cake somewhere! :D And just so long as there is some degree of broad consensus, what we refer to can be fairly understood.

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

20 hours ago, InfoHungryMom said:

TNC- I was just trying to make a point!  This shell is from Assateague, MD/Chincoteague, VA.  I am quite certain this shell is younger than me.  However, the way the ridges have smoothed out on both sides, the color, etc.  mean it is considered fossilized, but that is COMPLETELY different than the fossils found on this site!

i am a TOTAL NEWBIE here.... though I can probably tell you more about sea glass and “new” seashells from the mid-Atlantic than you can imagine!  I actually do educate families about what is on and around the beach-  why riptides are a huge issue because of sand-replenishment, why plastic is deadly especially to mammals, what is alive and what isn’t, that horseshoe crabs are wonderful and precious and save human lives and are completely harmless.... even about the “slipper shells” and “devils’ toenails” that live on the horseshoe crabs even if the crab is dead.

This is a new world for me and everyone has been wonderful!

Stick around and don't be a fly by night member and I assure you that youwill learn a lot on this forum. We have many knowledgable members who are more than willing to help those who seek information. :)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I'm not seeing coprolite here either. As to the fossil definition, i agree with the one given by @Carl : the closest fossil place where i go offers marine fossil shells and mammals from the miocene, their tissues are not replaced by mineral but as there is no longer ocean there, they are considered as fossils.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thank you all!  Truth is my life is “bonkers busy” and “this is my happy thing”-  I can all but guarantee I won’t use scientific language despite understanding it- my family pretty much mastered most of the sciences...  but I look-up almost every term used, and I appreciate the details that makes terminology necessary.  

One thing that definitely has me smiling is that if I magnify a rock/mineral enough, I find SOMETHING.  Most notably the items from Israel are LOADED with “ancient stuff”.  I have SO MANY items that I don’t know what to post first!  

Thank you all for the lessons and for taking the time to REALLY look, and even then re-examine the items in my posts!