Vieira

Hello,

I found in last weekend my first ear bone in a Miocene - Burdigalian formation and I lwant to know from what animal. The fossil have +- 5 cm.

IMG_1681.thumb.JPG.cc3fc0d55f21da9f392cfd5798090423.JPG

IMG_1682.thumb.JPG.ae2a660b2a2f9db9c7c5735891034aad.JPG

Thanks

It could be a river dolphin periotic  like mine, or an ocean dolphin, or a porpoise.  It would take someone like @Boesse to actually identify to a specific mammal.

Nice find!!!

RiverDolphinCompare.jpg.8660b782daa8c511c11d98a5cddbf9ff.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

6 hours ago, Boesse said:

@Vieira could you please provide a photograph of the opposite side?

The pictures are from both sides... Tonight I will take some more pictures.

5 hours ago, Vieira said:

The pictures are from both sides... Tonight I will take some more pictures.

Looks like the same side at different angles.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like the same side at different angles.

Indeed :wacko:.

But the pictures are from both side....

They're not from opposite sides. You've shown ventromedial and a ventrolateral picture, which gives us a nice idea of what the ventral side looks like. The dorsal side is also quite critical; this is the side with most of the 'holes'.

On second thought: how many folks here would be interested in a brief guide to earbones?

image.png.de10209e8bf7e9e8fcdbf4a23170545a.png

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Boesse said:

They're not from opposite sides. You've shown ventromedial and a ventrolateral picture, which gives us a nice idea of what the ventral side looks like. The dorsal side is also quite critical; this is the side with most of the 'holes'.

On second thought: how many folks here would be interested in a brief guide to earbones?

That's a good model for future photography, Bobby, thank you.  The petrosal is from which animal?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

4 hours ago, Vieira said:

The new pictures help?

Yes they do, but @Boesse does not login every day.(and He is the forums expert on cetaceans).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1) @Harry Pristis - the periotic/petrosal I posted above is the holotype periotic of Brujadelphis, a late Miocene iniid from the Pisco Fm. of Peru.

2) @Vieira - apologies for not logging in in over a week - the first photo you posted is the dorsal side, so many thanks! The additional photos do help quite a bit. This specimen has some weird features typical of sperm whales, but appears to be a delphinoid periotic - Delphinoidea includes oceanic dolphins (Delphinidae), true porpoises (Phocoenidae), and the beluga/narwhal clade (Monodontidae) as well as some extinct forms (Kentriodontidae sensu stricto, Albireonidae).

• I found this Informative 3

17 hours ago, Boesse said:

1) @Harry Pristis - the periotic/petrosal I posted above is the holotype periotic of Brujadelphis, a late Miocene iniid from the Pisco Fm. of Peru.

2) @Vieira - apologies for not logging in in over a week - the first photo you posted is the dorsal side, so many thanks! The additional photos do help quite a bit. This specimen has some weird features typical of sperm whales, but appears to be a delphinoid periotic - Delphinoidea includes oceanic dolphins (Delphinidae), true porpoises (Phocoenidae), and the beluga/narwhal clade (Monodontidae) as well as some extinct forms (Kentriodontidae sensu stricto, Albireonidae).

Thanks a lot for your time and informations :dinothumb: