Ptychodus A Plenty

jax

I snuck away from work for a few hours to hit location 001a. This is a secret honey hole that produces good sized Ptychodus teeth. Barry went in with me, and in a few short hours, we each found some nice stuff. The method of search was crawling... The blood suckers were out in force... The sound of the crickets was calming... And the weather was perfect!!!

We hiked back to the hole, and after I slipped and fell down the hill, it was time to hunt. I got 6 good sized Ptychodus teeth, largest being 7/8in tall, and a few bladed, a really nice fish vert, and a pig jaw section? Oh, with the bladed teeth, on the right, does that look like a sawfish tooth tip?

The gravel went for what looked like miles. There wasnt enough time or energy to search all of it. And the good news, "Flash Flood Warning" on the news today!!!

Thanks for looking

Justin

post-221-12527061682965_thumb.jpg

post-221-12527061904307_thumb.jpg

post-221-12527062096721_thumb.jpg

post-221-12527062188205_thumb.jpg

post-221-12527062339768_thumb.jpg

post-221-12527062473364_thumb.jpg

post-221-12527062670128_thumb.jpg

post-221-12527062904626_thumb.jpg

Edited by jax

Excellent, Justin!

Kamp Ranch Formation teeth?

They were found in Eagle Ford, but not Kamp Ranch. Im not real sure what the formation is here.

Site 001A sure is a great place...LOL... We hit our honey hole hard and fast and both came up with some great finds.Thanks for meeting me out there Jax and I look forward to doing it again.It's raining pretty hard here right now.Our spot will be refreshed by the AM for sure!!

post-417-12527124950925_thumb.jpgpost-417-12527125100542_thumb.jpg

Ya did good! There sure are a lot of ptychodus teeth there! :D

What is that? (above the turtle shell) It looks like a knob of some kind attached to a test tube...

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Roz, it is a neat little item.The knob handle is stamped Pyrex and it looks like part of a chemistry bottle stopper of some sort.Those are hollow tubes going on either side of the knob.That's as best as I can describe it.

Man, you guys did well. Time to pull the geo maps an determine which formation? Barry, you didn't rub you nose, or anything after picking up that cyanide dispensing shut-off valve...did you (like the farmers use to control "varmints")?

:P Just kidding - but I'd still be careful with it.... ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Barry, I think you got me on the Ptychodus count. That turtle shell was a cool find too. Dont forget that arrowhead came from 002a ;)

Roz, I think I found well over 5-6 old coke bottles too. I kept looking at the bottoms to see where they were from. Dallas, Durant, Sherman, one for arkansas..... I have too many bottles laying around to haul them home

John, I know its Eagle Ford, Just not sure what formation it would be.

I just looked, and its KEF, Eagle ford, Surrounded by KAU, Austin Chalk.

Edited by jax

Awesome finds guys!!! Both of you look like you had a great day and Im so glad you found an arrowhead Barry, its about time.:D

It still has not rained a drop here can you believe it.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice finds!

The vertabrae looks like what I've found in Eagle Ford, but ptychodus whipplei of that size I seem to find in Austin Chalk. I only find dinks looking in Kamp Ranch.