Trip This Friday To Castle Haynes Quarry

sweeneyb

Hi Seeneyb

I wish I could go but I dont live in Nc anymore. I lived in China Grove for a few years and I would go over to Castel haynes once a month. Great place to play better after a nice rain but very muddy. I was there over last thanksgiving. I brought home some nice stuff. Good hunting. would you post what you find. later Paul

I live in Salisbury, NC and am planning a trip to Castle Hayne in a few weeks. I also plan to head to some of the more remote beaches north of Wrightsville to look for fossils. I've never been to any of the phosphate quarries in Eastern NC and would be grateful for any advice on which are good to visit. What's the best way to access the quarries for fossil hunting in Castle Hayne? I read a post not long ago that all it takes is checking in at the front office.

I hope to get in a group to the PCS the next season available. The Aurora mine sounds like a fossil hunting dream come true.

Hope you come across some great finds. This is a great time of year to be near the ocean weatherwise. Not to hot and not too crowded.

sweeneyb,

I'll be there Friday with my club (East Coast Fossil Club), so I'll see you there. Bring your rain gear - it looks

like showers starting tomorrow going into Friday. Should wash out some material. I love collecting those Eocene

hills in the rain, as long as it's not thunderstorms.

-greel

I live in Salisbury, NC and am planning a trip to Castle Hayne in a few weeks. I also plan to head to some of the more remote beaches north of Wrightsville to look for fossils. I've never been to any of the phosphate quarries in Eastern NC and would be grateful for any advice on which are good to visit. What's the best way to access the quarries for fossil hunting in Castle Hayne? I read a post not long ago that all it takes is checking in at the front office.

I hope to get in a group to the PCS the next season available. The Aurora mine sounds like a fossil hunting dream come true.

Hope you come across some great finds. This is a great time of year to be near the ocean weatherwise. Not to hot and not too crowded.

Daryl,

I live next door in Thomasville. You just need to call ahead to the office to make sure they are not blasting.

Usually, it's Friday they allow folks into the mine. I'm going to Castle Hayne this Friday, if you want to go.

I'll be going to Rocky Point (right next to Castle Hayne) on October 9th. We are also going to Richlands and

Belgrade in November. Google - Martin Marrietta quarries locator to get office phone numbers of the quarries

throughout North Carolina.

-greel

sweeneyb,

I'll be there Friday with my club (East Coast Fossil Club), so I'll see you there. Bring your rain gear - it looks

like showers starting tomorrow going into Friday. Should wash out some material. I love collecting those Eocene

hills in the rain, as long as it's not thunderstorms.

-greel

Happy Hunting, Gerald.

Hope you bring home some goodies.

Tell Dewayne I said hello.

Cheers,

Paul

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Happy Hunting, Gerald.

Hope you bring home some goodies.

Tell Dewayne I said hello.

Cheers,

Paul

Will do, Paul. Thanks for the good wishes.

Hey, I appreciate the info, Greel. It looks like I'm going to be in Castle Hayne on the weekend of Oct. 3rd so I'll be right between your trips. This will be my first official hunt so I'm pretty excited. I've always looked for fossils on my beach trips but I've only recently learned about the quarries in NC. Good luck with your hunts!

-Daryl

I actually ended up going to Aurora this past Friday and I am planning on making another trip this Thursday if anyone is interested PM me.

Will do, Paul. Thanks for the good wishes.

Hoe did you do, Gerald?

I know Dewayne did great with four Rics and numerous echs.

Cheers,

Paul

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")