A Good Day Tinged With Disappointment

1nickeless1

I went out to the quarry and came back with a heavy backpack and a soaked shirt. It was pretty warm in the sun. I managed to eke from the earth a few horn corals, a couple star bryozoans, my biggest but incomplete trilobite and a large piece of a crinoid stem. I was hammering away on a huge boulder when this giant chunk of stem broke off. Didn't even see it but saw the rest of it going straight in, completely inaccessible. 3X f bomb. Going back with a hammer drill next time. The star bryozoan in the gray matrix looks like a last meal for something from a long, long time ago.

Still looking for THAT trilobite, the bright white one in the red matrix. It's mine.

post-2020-12527950188067_thumb.jpg

Nice finds. I did the same thing the other day. I was trying to split a rock, and when it split, it showed a nice 1.5in tooth, but it just flaked away :(:( only the root remained

Nice finds. I did the same thing the other day. I was trying to split a rock, and when it split, it showed a nice 1.5in tooth, but it just flaked away :(:( only the root remained

Thanks Jax, I am sure it's all part of it, but it sucks. On one of my first hunts I found an exposed 2 1/2" tooth that ran perpendicular to the grain. Tried to chisel it out and part of it went flying. Grrr.

when i find a prefect fossil, i figure it's a fake, planted there to make me look stupid on camera, so i just keep walking.

but i almost tripped over that t-rex femur. hope nobody got video of it.

i do, however, enjoy picking up fragments of stuff. that way, i can just decide what it is and forever present it as such. you wouldn't believe the number of dinosaur parts i've found in s/e texas.

when i find a prefect fossil, i figure it's a fake, planted there to make me look stupid on camera, so i just keep walking.

but i almost tripped over that t-rex femur. hope nobody got video of it.

i do, however, enjoy picking up fragments of stuff. that way, i can just decide what it is and forever present it as such. you wouldn't believe the number of dinosaur parts i've found in s/e texas.

Haven't found anything prefect yet, but enjoying what I do find down to the extraterrestrial uniped footprint I found. Unlike you I took photos and posted here. Betcha someone put it up on a 'Look at this Dork' website. I would have!

I'd like to see your stash. Woodja put some up in your gallery?

"I'd like to see your stash. Woodja put some up in your gallery?"

i think there may still be a bunch of my pictures on the board in various forums, especially in the "what's this?" and the "worthless snarge" forums. my problem is that i'm a member of three apathy and four lethargy clubs, just because they're the ones who never require me to pay my dues or go to meetings. but sure, i'll put up copious pictures of my plethora of scrumptious formerly-organic mineraliciousnessessitudes. please hold your breath and stand just outside the door to the gallery album that's decorated like a skater goth lives inside.

p.s. - there are also safety considerations which have prevented me from posting more pictures. there is more danger when i'm trying to maneuver in my fossil room than when i'm kayaking down a blue-water river. one time i had to go through a whole case of MREs before i found my way out of there with the generic brachiopod that i wanted to drop at the eocene location i know johnj frequents.

in an effort to make this post more random, i'd like to state at this juncture that i at times fondle a "worry stone" which consists of a some unidentified artiodactyl's (maybe) well-mineralized carpal bone. but i don't have any pictures of it.

"I'd like to see your stash. Woodja put some up in your gallery?"

i think there may still be a bunch of my pictures on the board in various forums, especially in the "what's this?" and the "worthless snarge" forums. my problem is that i'm a member of three apathy and four lethargy clubs, just because they're the ones who never require me to pay my dues or go to meetings. but sure, i'll put up copious pictures of my plethora of scrumptious formerly-organic mineraliciousnessessitudes. please hold your breath and stand just outside the door to the gallery album that's decorated like a skater goth lives inside.

p.s. - there are also safety considerations which have prevented me from posting more pictures. there is more danger when i'm trying to maneuver in my fossil room than when i'm kayaking down a blue-water river. one time i had to go through a whole case of MREs before i found my way out of there with the generic brachiopod that i wanted to drop at the eocene location i know johnj frequents.

in an effort to make this post more random, i'd like to state at this juncture that i at times fondle a "worry stone" which consists of a some unidentified artiodactyl's (maybe) well-mineralized carpal bone. but i don't have any pictures of it.

Perusing preposterous purposeful psychobabble ponderings precipitates pulling potty paper promptly! -Me

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull coprolites- Anonymous

Tracer, I think an evening with you would be very therapeutic. Or a step over the edge!

Those horn corals look interesting, maybe its just the picture but the mineral replacement looks unique.. care to take a few close ups of them?

Great finds.

Be glad to Nicholas! Shot with a Sony Cybershot 8.1 in macro, still not that great. Cool name btw. Nick

just looked at the upload. Sorry, not too clear.

post-2020-12528952233418_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1nickeless1