Find Of The Month September '09

PrehistoricFlorida

Nice find, Nate! Are you going to use cocktail sauce on that one?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

When entering please include the date the item was found and the name you want to appear in the poll.

Post what you want here, but we are also going to have a final thread in where you choose one fossil for entry that month. Members will have 7 days to post after the end of September their "final pick" for that month. :)

Thanks for starting this thread :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Here's my fossils of the month. They're from eastern Alberta and come from the Cretaceous zone. The first one is 48" long by 10" wide at the tip. The second one is 32" long by 6" at the tip. I need help with ID on these, I don't know what they are off of?

post-1761-12534682152921_thumb.jpgpost-1761-12534682359176_thumb.jpgpost-1761-12534682490993_thumb.jpg :wub:

Hello

Finally I found a meg of 2,5 inch in a very good condition for this place on me favorite digging place in Antwerpen

It,s hard to find a good one,so I,am very happy with this one :)

Cor

post-150-12535296168564_thumb.jpg

post-150-12535296400384_thumb.jpg

I would like to add this small plate of Sand Dollars from Scott's Valley. The largest one is about 3 inches.

post-1292-12540094209538_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

here is my piece of the month...

found last week end in south of Alsace Fossils are in Silice and matrix can be dissolved with Chlorhydric acid. Result is what you can see

Uncommon crinoid accumulation (Millericrinus horridus) and 1 Terebratula sp (Digonella sp) WITH Brachydium preserved !!!

accumulationcrinoideset.jpgbrachydium.jpg

Can I enter this from another country? .... If not please ignore this entry...

As Requested, heres a little information about the find....was found and collected last saturday (26th?) .... I know a few collectors who have put some time in on the North Somerset Coast, and as far as I know this is a 'one off'.... a calcified nautilus hasnt been discovered there previously and none of the museums seem to have any decent 3d ammonite material off the coast, for comparison.... finding 'good specimens' from this coast is a labour of love and requires a lot of patience as the rocks are very fragmentary in the cliffs and very often your finding only pieces for your efforts... and prepping it, the rock has a mind of its own..... I couldnt wait to get prepping this fossil purely to see what colour the calcite preservation was, to compare it to other outcrops of the same age....It took me around 10 hours to prep.... but its up there with my favourate finds from this year.....

Cenoceras obesum ....Lower Jurassic... Sinemurian... North Somerset Coast 3 1/2"

post-1630-12542534133619_thumb.jpg post-1630-12542534394006_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Can I enter this from another country? .... If not please ignore this entry...

Cenoceras obesum ....Lower Jurassic... Sinemurian... North Somerset Coast

post-1630-12542534133619_thumb.jpg post-1630-12542534394006_thumb.jpg

If it's from Planet Earth, it's welcome. (If it's from another planet, it's an automatic win!)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If it's from Planet Earth, it's welcome. (If it's from another planet, it's an automatic win!)

then i enter myself! <sticking tongue out at auspex-the-rule-maker-upper>

then i enter myself! <sticking tongue out at auspex-the-rule-maker-upper>

If the fossil (or Tracer for that matter) is from Uranus I don't think you should allow it auspex.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Plus 100 years in the big house. They still looking for the missing moon rocks

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

here is my piece of the month...

found last week end in south of Alsace Fossils are in Silice and matrix can be dissolved with Chlorhydric acid. Result is what you can see

Uncommon crinoid accumulation (Millericrinus horridus) and 1 Terebratula sp (Digonella sp) WITH Brachydium preserved !!!

accumulationcrinoideset.jpgbrachydium.jpg

HOLY snarge!!! Does that acid thing work with any fossils from that era, or only the French versions? Fantastic, BTW!

it works with diluted muriatic acid when the fossils are made of silica and the matrix is limestone. but you have to be careful, because the fossils are not impervious to acid - they just resist it better than the matrix.

HI Ron!

this acid only works like this when fossils are silicified and in France there are 2 or 3 places with that kind of preservation

If you use that acid on something else it will just dissolve your fossil...

oups...didn't saw Tracer's answzer !

Edited by David

I thought I would throw in an entry while I can. I was cleaning up some of my bugs from Clarita, OK and was shocked to uncover a pretty nice Kettneraspis williamsi. When I found it I didn't realize what it was. It had a lot more matrix on it. I have been cleaning it with a pick and tooth brush. It's definitely not perfect, but it was nice to see intact spines on one side. Hopefully the pygidium will be intact. It didn't photograph well, so I apologize for the quality. The color is closer to the classic OK color. The oxidation isn't nearly as noticable either.

I feel like I won the lottery because these are more rare at the site, especially for a surface find.

Anyway.. thanks for looking and your consideration.

post-1234-12542960651474_thumb.jpg

Edit: This was found on the 26th...

Thanks again, Jeremy

Edited by PaleoPutz

I took a quick photo outside to show what the color actually looks like. The photo before makes it look really ugly... reminds me there is still a long way to go... :)

post-1234-12543268743045_thumb.jpg

here is my entry,

Amecephalus laticaudum (Resser 1939a)

Spence Shale member, Middle Cambrian

Brigham City, Utah

this is a pretty rare bug. the coolest thing about this one is the coloration. the grey areas are not missing the shell is clear or grey in those areas. the black color is natural as well. most the time you find them and they are all black or just an imprint. the pygidum is folded under but there. one of the coolest trilobites i have personally found.

post-37-12543321786483_thumb.jpg

post-37-12543321945625_thumb.jpg

post-37-12543322060788_thumb.jpg