Crinoids

crinoid1

just some little crinoids. not very nice, but they both go down to the holdfast

first crinoid is Platycrinites huntsvillae (Troost, 1850)

Edited by crinoid1

I like crinoids......

Those are really sweet; I'd be proud to display them!

I have never seen complete "baby" crinoids before...I guess that's where big ones come from;

wonder why I've never seen them?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Those are really sweet; I'd be proud to display them!

I have never seen complete "baby" crinoids before...I guess that's where big ones come from;

wonder why I've never seen them?

I would think that they would be more fragile than the larger ones, but around that area, I have only found complete "baby" ones. In the same formation, I have found blastoids with brachioles and stems before, but they were extremely small. I even have one all the way down to the holdfast. Mine is the only one i have ever seen. strange.

I like crinoids......

crinoid1... Very nice..... Its good to get variations and that is quite significant based on its size.... Ive never seen one either that small...well done...

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

crinoid1... Very nice..... Its good to get variations and that is quite significant based on its size.... Ive never seen one either that small...well done...

I like crinoids......

Kudos to you for finding them. I might have overlooked critters that small. They are very nice.

Thanks. I do like them. they might be small, but when you are lookin for them, you will find them :D

I like crinoids......

Those are poor, pathetic girly-man crinoids. I suggest you send them to me so as to relieve yourself of the shame of owning them!

Seriously, nice specimens. Gorgeous.

And hey, fossil-friends! Found a nice echinoid chunk at Treasure Island beach this morning! Pics when I get home next week. Fossils on the beach! Does it get any better?

Those are poor, pathetic girly-man crinoids. I suggest you send them to me so as to relieve yourself of the shame of owning them!

Seriously, nice specimens. Gorgeous.

And hey, fossil-friends! Found a nice echinoid chunk at Treasure Island beach this morning! Pics when I get home next week. Fossils on the beach! Does it get any better?

hahaha thanks. and, it doesnt get any better than nice fossils on beach :D

I like crinoids......

Don't confuse size in crinoids with maturity. Somewhere on the forum I have posted a pic of some adult crinoids, where the whole thing is smaller then a dime. I see that yours came out of the Ste. Genevieve, I am about 15 miles south of its type unit. The small crinoids that I have come out of the Girardeau Limestone, which is late Ordovician.

ashcraft, brent allen

Don't confuse size in crinoids with maturity. Somewhere on the forum I have posted a pic of some adult crinoids, where the whole thing is smaller then a dime. I see that yours came out of the Ste. Genevieve, I am about 15 miles south of its type unit. The small crinoids that I have come out of the Girardeau Limestone, which is late Ordovician.

That is true, but the Platycrinites calyxes are normally about 1-2 inches in length. The first one is most likely a juvinile calyx. As for the other one, I am still not sure what it is, so I cant know for sure. There are crinoids that reach about the size of a dime in the St. Gen. I really liked your crinoids. Where are they from?

I like crinoids......

Those are great! Again i wish i could find the stuff you do you are one lucky ducky! :D

thanks CQ, but you are finding very incredible things as well; stuff I wouldnt dare dream about finding. I would love to find some of the stuff you do :D

I like crinoids......

That is true, but the Platycrinites calyxes are normally about 1-2 inches in length. The first one is most likely a juvinile calyx. As for the other one, I am still not sure what it is, so I cant know for sure. There are crinoids that reach about the size of a dime in the St. Gen. I really liked your crinoids. Where are they from?

The pics that I posted are from northern Cape Girardeau county, not at the type locality, but close. The type locality has also produced small, mature crinoids. There is an entire publication on them, very technical on identifying species. The Girardeau limestone was originally classified as Devonian (I think), but was changed to Ordovician, largely through that study.

I'd move the pic over here for those who didn't see them, but can't figure out how to do it.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Thanks! Both photos are from a slab that was 2' x 3'. The one with the dime was used to practice for prep, only one partial was visible when I started. The picture w/o the dime is about 2/3 complete. They are:

Camarate crinoids

Late Ordovician

Girardeau Limestone

Cape Girardeau County

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Thanks! Both photos are from a slab that was 2' x 3'. The one with the dime was used to practice for prep, only one partial was visible when I started. The picture w/o the dime is about 2/3 complete. They are:

Camarate crinoids

Late Ordovician

Girardeau Limestone

Cape Girardeau County

Brent Ashcraft

Very nice crinoids. Do you know what species?

I like crinoids......