Need some bug experts here

DeepTimeIsotopes

18 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice score for sure. (I assume the price was not at the high end for that grade of item...)

It's amazing something like that can be preserved for 100MY!

Now you've got me tempted to acquire my own piece. I suppose every good fossil collection needs an amber insect. But at the moment I am prevented by the budget and my lack of ability to judge fake from real.

Thanks. I hear you on the lack of ability to distinguish them. That’s why I had posted here before I bought it. An Insect in amber is a classic fossil collection item, I figured it was my time to get one.:ighappy:

• I found this Informative 1

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Most fake insect included amber will have the insect in the middle of the "stone" laid out in the most flattering pose possible. Wings spread or body turned just right. And almost never will it have other stuff in the "amber". When a bug gets stuck in the tree resin, it try's to get free, usually tearing a leg or 2 off, along with wings & such. This pic is of an ant I found in some Indonesian amber I was sanding. Not the greatest pic or amber, but you can see what I mean about the legs getting pulled apart. That's the kind of things you want to look for. Damage to the bug and/or tiny bits of matter scattered around (or both). 

Ant 4.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

16 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Most fake insect included amber will have the insect in the middle of the "stone" laid out in the most flattering pose possible. Wings spread or body turned just right. And almost never will it have other stuff in the "amber". When a bug gets stuck in the tree resin, it try's to get free, usually tearing a leg or 2 off, along with wings & such. This pic is of an ant I found in some Indonesian amber I was sanding. Not the greatest pic or amber, but you can see what I mean about the legs getting pulled apart. That's the kind of things you want to look for. Damage to the bug and/or tiny bits of matter scattered around (or both). 

Well, mine’s got both so it’s got that going for it.:ighappy:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?