Aurora Spoil Pile Trip Thursday

sweeneyb

Making another trip to Aurora this coming Thursday the 29th. I will plan on getting there at about 9 am and staying until sunset. PM me if anyone wants to meet up.

I gotta say that troubles me. I think those piles were intended for visitors and Primarely school children to be able to have fun and find a treasure or two. Not to be harvested by the serious collector like the one a few months back who did an all day and walked out with over a thousand teeth.

When in Aurora, I do dig in the piles for maybe a hour or so and give about 99% of my teeth finds to the kids. Generally I prefer hunting the 'cast off' piles made by teeth hunters who don't want or don't recognise the good fossils that are also in the mix.

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

I gotta say that troubles me. I think those piles were intended for visitors and Primarely school children to be able to have fun and find a treasure or two. Not to be harvested by the serious collector like the one a few months back who did an all day and walked out with over a thousand teeth.

When in Aurora, I do dig in the piles for maybe a hour or so and give about 99% of my teeth finds to the kids. Generally I prefer hunting the 'cast off' piles made by teeth hunters who don't want or don't recognise the good fossils that are also in the mix.

When I went last Thursday to Aurora there were about 50 or so school children that showed up and I was helping the museum by helping them find them and I basically ended up giving away everything that I drove three hours to get, but it was worth it.

Plus I also end up donating most of the teeth I find to the museum at the end of the day to put into those bags they sell to make money and everytime I go I donate echinoids for them to sell. So I definately give back as well as being a friend of the museum.

Plus I also end up donating most of the teeth I find to the museum at the end of the day to put into those bags they sell to make money and everytime I go I donate echinoids for them to sell. So I definately give back as well as being a friend of the museum.

Glad to hear it, more people should. If you walk into the Nature room across the street you will see several specimens I have donated. I tend to feel a bit protective there because it's not really the same thing as going into PCS where if you don't find it, it ends up being processed by the mine. The museum put out in their newsletter they were short on sharks teeth so that will help.

Be true to the reality you create.