Old Softy: Tyrannosaurus Fossil Yields Flexible Tissue

fig rocks

about four years old, if you meant the "news". about 70 million years old, if you meant the fossil.

The fossil, to be able to find soft material on it? :blink: How do you get soft material on on a 70 myo fossil? :wacko:

well, if nothing breaks down or destroys the collagen, then it stays, forever (or longer). i guess being deeply buried in the badlands ends up not being a piece of cake for even bacteria.

There has been a lot of discussion that the actual fossil is fossilized bacteria, not collagen. It wasn't really flexible until it had been treated and acid etched. Young earthers would have you believe the bone split open and blood spilled out. It was really all rock.

Despite the fact that much of this research has been conducted at my own university, I'm not convinced one way or another; while it is definitely clear that there is a major resemblance of these features to organic tissues, the opposition brings up some very good points.

Yes, and this is 4 year old news.

Bobby

ok, ok, i found and read an article about the bacterial biofilm issue. i did note that they mentioned that a weensy bit of dino bio stuff was found too in the sample tested in the currently referenced testing. it woulda been more fun if it was all dino stuff, but still. what i'm taking away from it is that original biological material almost always gets contaminated by bacterial biological material, which complicates everything.

it's interesting how bacteria seems to really help precipitate/fix iron into everything.

science stuff

There has been a lot of discussion that the actual fossil is fossilized bacteria, not collagen. It wasn't really flexible until it had been treated and acid etched. Young earthers would have you believe the bone split open and blood spilled out. It was really all rock.

I'm watching a show on Discovery right now called Dinosaurs: Return to Life and they're showing actual bone building cells and blood vessels that they found inside fossil bones and it wasn't bacteria!