Trip to Gasparilla Island any one have finds from there to share?

Hiitsjustme

Hi everyone! New member here. I am headed to Gasparilla Island, Florida soon. Also known as bocca grande. I was wondering if other members have been there and if you could share what you found and maybe what I could or should be hunting for. 

Thanks ahead for all your tips!

You'd be better off checking the beaches to the north from Englewood beach to Nokomis. Only a short drive from there and you'll find shark teeth and mostly other marine bits.  I live by Manasota beach and have a shark tooth rake you can borrow if you like. Good luck:)

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

7 hours ago, jcbshark said:

You'd be better off checking the beaches to the north from Englewood beach to Nokomis. Only a short drive from there and you'll find shark teeth and mostly other marine bits.  I live by Manasota beach and have a shark tooth rake you can borrow if you like. Good luck:)

That is so nice thank you! I didn't even know a sharks tooth rake was a thing. What does it look like? Unfortunately I will be mostly captive on this island except for trips to and from the airport. Or is that really unfortunate in January? 

5 hours ago, Hiitsjustme said:

That is so nice thank you! I didn't even know a sharks tooth rake was a thing. What does it look like? Unfortunately I will be mostly captive on this island except for trips to and from the airport. Or is that really unfortunate in January? 

Google "Sand Flea Rake". Surf fishermen designed them to collect sand fleas as bait for pompano.

• I found this Informative 3

5 hours ago, Hiitsjustme said:

It’s not a bad place to be stuck lol. Very pretty island but you’ll probably do better shelling than fossil hunting :) 

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

46 minutes ago, Sacha said:

"Sand Flea Rake

Found in walmarts of Florida for about 20 dollars, though you can't beat Jeff's price!!

11 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Found in walmarts of Florida for about 20 dollars, though you can't beat Jeff's price!!

No doubt there! I'm in luck though at least the condo has a book I can hang out with and get to know the sharks teeth better as well as a small bowl of some. At least I can practice identification! I've missed my opportunity to buy the rake or borrow one. 

15471645648461460383429.jpg

1547164721818223536017.jpg

12 hours ago, jcbshark said:

It’s not a bad place to be stuck lol. Very pretty island but you’ll probably do better shelling than fossil hunting :) 

There is no doubt shelling is good here!

12 hours ago, Sacha said:

Google "Sand Flea Rake". Surf fishermen designed them to collect sand fleas as bait for pompano.

Thanks! What a great thing to have.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:56 PM, jcbshark said:

I ended up seeing many people with these. Thanks again for the offer. I'm back home now and in need of a snow blower instead lol. I did manage to find a few small teeth. Wish I had more time there!