Are these fish genuine?

Curiosity

I would appreciate some help/advice as I know very little about this stuff (although this forum is proving very interesting and informative).

I’m looking at giving the fossil fish pictured below to a friend as a birthday present. It has been listed as “Knightia alta from the Eocene age, Green River Limestone deposits Wyoming” and is mounted on a presentation slab.

The item is from an apparently well known UK supplier and comes with a ‘certificate of authenticity’.

Does this appear to be genuine and is it a decent sample? There is what seems to be a squarish tool mark at the top centre which I’m guessing is from when the stone was split, and is perhaps a bit of a shame on what otherwise (to the ignorant at least) is a fairly pleasing looking piece.

knightia-alta-fossil-fish.jpg

Very nice examples with accurate information of origin. The certificate is of little value other than as a novelty addition; however, the fossil itself appears as it should given the age/origin/ID provided. They are worthy examples of that common fossil.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks pretty real to me

• I found this Informative 2

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

They are real and pretty common.

They may be painted, but are still genuine fossil fishes. If they are cheap, go for it!

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Yes, apparently these fish did not receive paintings like I always see in the fossils of Knightia. And besides the two fish, you just got to toast a beautiful coprolite, something that is also commonly found on the Green River plaques, and possibly a fish coprolite!

image.png.4a195cd600d1de93a516700324002add.png

• I found this Informative 4

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

56 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

They may be painted

I neglected to mention this possibility in my earlier response. Paint is a common (unfortunate, I believe) enhancement employed by some sellers. However, I am not overly suspicious of the pair pictured. Note the light areas on the fish (especially evident in the smaller). To me it would be very difficult to slather on paint and achieve that mottled, natural appearance. Indeed, the badly painted horrors I have been exposed to were distinctly monochromatic.  In addition, "fin forgeries" I have seen tend to fill in all the missing rays unlike the natural appearance with missing portions seen here. Of course, in hand with a 10X loupe is the best way to detect paint mischief. Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I'm not an expert on these fish, but they look more like Knightia eocaena. K. alta are usually shorter and fatter. 

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

2 hours ago, Paciphacops said:

look more like Knightia eocaena. K. alta

Yep, another oversight from my original comments. These skinny fellows do look eocaena instead of fat ole alta. You are an expert!

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you to everyone for your replies and the really helpful and encouraging information. I very much appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

This must be one of the most friendly, responsive and helpful forums I’ve ever been on!

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, Curiosity said:

Thank you to everyone for your replies and the really helpful and encouraging information. I very much appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

This must be one of the most friendly, responsive and helpful forums I’ve ever been on!

Thank you!  :D

Welcome to TFF!

:yay-smiley-1:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG