My trilobite of the week.

rew

14 hours ago, piranha said:

Even with the assist from Vanna White....you're still only almost there! mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo12.gif&t=1710198061&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1ceb-68000501cf00&sig=QPdkcsjMO6zwpn_stGAUhQ--~D mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo20.gif&t=1710198061&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1ceb-68000501cf00&sig=QxXxTd49yG3ObCb0nZdT4A--~D

image.thumb.png.b2c63719c635c81e6873eea00546d558.png

Chatterton, B.D.E., Gibb, S. 2016

Furongian (Upper Cambrian) Trilobites from the McKay Group, Bull River Valley,

Near Cranbrook, Southeastern British Columbia, Canada.

Palaeontographica Canadiana, 35:1-275

This says Wujijania, not Wujiajania... Which one is it?

Wujiajiania lyndasmithae is the correct spelling: just as presented in the solved Wheel of Fortune puzzle. As luck would have it, the authors failed to label that particular figure correctly.  In my haste, I inadvertently pasted their misspelled label to the figure. If only I had a nickel for every occurrence of all the misspelled taxa....Go figure! :P

image.thumb.png.919a256689694868b7d4fcf234a4373d.png

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

12 hours ago, piranha said:

Wujiajiania lyndasmithae is the correct spelling: just as presented in the solved Wheel of Fortune puzzle. As luck would have it, the authors failed to label that particular figure correctly.  In my haste, I inadvertently pasted their misspelled label to the figure. If only I had a nickel for every occurrence of all the misspelled taxa....Go figure! :P

image.thumb.png.919a256689694868b7d4fcf234a4373d.png

Man... Its a minefield for people trying to find correct spellings for things, if even scientific publications get them wrong!

Posted (edited)

Trilobite #363 is a bonus trilobite.

W is for Wendorfia plana, of Early Devonian age (late Emsian) from Bou Lachrhal, Morocco.

This is the third member of the Homalonotidae in this alphabet group and the most typical of the three.  The carapace is domed and smooth, with most evidence of trilobation gone, and the head has the classic Homalonotid profile.  This was almost certainly a borrowing trilobite.

This has less restoration than these bugs usually have, about 1% on the left side of the thorax.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

right-cropped-small.jpg

left-cropped-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 1

*Wenndorfia plana

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Man... Its a minefield for people trying to find correct spellings for things, if even scientific publications get them wrong!

In defense of the authors of this massive 275 page publication: The name Wujiajiania appears a total of 193 times. It was spelled correctly 192 times. Ironically, poor Lynda Smith got the short straw again. The name Wujiajiania is certainly a tongue twister and a jumble of J's and vowels....it's a miracle they only misspelled it once!:default_faint:

image.thumb.png.b0a741f0c5a4bd4229d9ef1fc3feb6e7.png

• I Agree 1

Lynda Smith has the misfortune of me thinking her name was Linda Smith.

10 hours ago, piranha said:

In defense of the authors of this massive 275 page publication: The name Wujiajiania appears a total of 193 times. It was spelled correctly 192 times. Ironically, poor Lynda Smith got the short straw again. The name Wujiajiania is certainly a tongue twister and a jumble of J's and vowels....it's a miracle they only misspelled it once!:default_faint:

Well twice in that image you posted yesterday at 10:03, but yes, I'll grant you that, and that so many sci names nowadays come from not just the usual Latin and Greek elements but from Chinese and anything else, besides the unusual spellings of common names like Lynda for Linda. Where's that emoji you use? :headscratch:  :zzzzscratchchin::Confused05:

Edited by Wrangellian

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Well twice in that image you posted yesterday at 10:03...

As I mentioned, they only misspelled it one time.  In order to post a simplified diagram: I used a cloned label that was placed underneath fig. 'A' in photoshop. happy0144.gif

7 hours ago, piranha said:

As I mentioned, they only misspelled it one time.  In order to post a simplified diagram: I used a cloned label that was placed underneath fig. 'A' in photoshop. happy0144.gif

Oh, I see. :Ouch!2:

Trilobite #364 is a main trilobite.

W is for Walliserops trifurcatus of Middle Devonian age from the Timrhanrhart Formation at Foum Ziguid, Morocco.

This is the third member of the Acastidae to reach main trilobite status in this alphabet, and it's not the least of them.  I have no idea what that long trident rostrum was used for.

The New York Times said this looks like a dinner fork designed by Salvador Dali.

dorsal-col-bal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

left-cropped-cleaned-small.jpg

back-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

12 hours ago, rew said:

Trilobite #364 is a main trilobite.

W is for Walliserops trifurcatus of Middle Devonian age from the Timrhanrhart Formation at Foum Ziguid, Morocco.

This is the third member of the Acastidae to reach main trilobite status in this alphabet, and it's not the least of them.  I have no idea what that long trident rostrum was used for.

The New York Times said this looks like a dinner fork designed by Salvador Dali.

dorsal-col-bal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

left-cropped-cleaned-small.jpg

back-rotated-small.jpg

Wonderful! :wub:

Cheers!

James

This week is brought to you by the letter X.  There will be two bonus trilobites.  The three trilobites come from three different continents.

(Posted for REW, whose internet is down!)

Trilobite of the week #365 is a bonus trilobite.

X is for Xystridura saint-smithi.  The first specimen is small, about 2.5 cm long.  The second specimen is 7 cm long but is a molt.

This Redlichid is my only Australian trilobite.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

molt-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

10 hours ago, rew said:

X is for Xystridura saint-smithi. 

Accordining to Öpik 1975:  Xystridura saintsmithi is a synonym of Xystridura templetonensis.

"The synonymy of Xystridura templetonensis was discussed on pp. 28-29.  Xystridura templetonensis is identified here as that species from Beetle Creek sites that has three pygidial axial annulations; in accepting this I follow Whitehouse (1939), who described in similar terms the same species under the name of Xystridura saintsmithi (Chapman)."

Öpik, A.A. 1975
Templetonian and Ordian Xystridurid Trilobites of Australia. 
Australia Bureau of Mineral Resources, Geology and Geophysics Bulletin, 121:1-84  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 2

Trilobite of the week #366 is a bonus trilobite.

X is for Xiphogonium trautensteinensis of Early Devonian age (Late Emsian Stage) from the Abadia Formation at Palencia Province, Cantabria, northern Spain.

I previously posted a Moroccan Xiphogonium that has since been placed in the subspecies Xiphogonium trautensteinensis crassus.  But this is the original Xiphogonium trautensteinensis from Spain.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

right-cpy-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Posted (edited)

Trilobite of the week #357 is a main trilobite.

X is for Xylabion sp. of Middle Ordovician age from the Kirkfield Formation in the Lake Simcoe area, Ontario, Canada.

This is a complete but not perfect specimen, the left free cheek is smashed into the head.  As compensation for this, the hypostome is exposed.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

right-cropped-small.jpg

left-cropped-small.jpg

hypostome-cpy-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 3

3 hours ago, rew said:

X is for Xylabion sp.

This one is still in limbo awaiting a formal description.  An upcoming revision of the North American Cheiruridae will hopefully address this taxon in the not-too-distant future.

image.thumb.png.7b902a8b69927c23a8771d7849803edd.png

Isotalo, P.A. 2015

Ordovician Trilobites of Southern Ontario, Canada

and the Surrounding Region: An Illustrated Guide.

Siri Scientific Press, 224 pp.

• I found this Informative 1

If this isn't actually a Xylabion, then the Spanish Xiphogonium trautensteinensis becomes the official main X trilobite.

This week is brought to you by the letter Y.  There will be one bonus trilobite.  Both trilobites are from China.

I note that the AMNH trilobite gallery has a Xylabion from Ontario, but they put the name in sneer quotes -- "Xylabion".

It looks like when this all gets sorted out it won't be an X trilobite.

Trilobite #358 is a bonus trilobite.

Y is for Yinites sp. of Early Cambrian age from the Hongjingshao Formation at Malong, Yunnan, China.

This is an off white trilobite on an off white rock so the contrast sucks.   And most of the left genal spine is broken off.  Still, readily seen is the main feature of this trilobite -- the long pygidal spines, a very unusual feature on a Redlichid.  (Macropleural spines are common enough in that order, but spines on the pygidium are not.)

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 1