New Mexico Fern Fossils

Kato

With a little bit of the fern revealed I took my smallest chisel and smallest hammer to split this specimen. Width of left specimen is 5" (approx 100mm) about 25mm of fern was showing initially 

image.thumb.png.9d22d0a8edab7f11d9ead4e074468bd7.png

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 3

On 1/11/2019 at 9:53 AM, Kato said:

With a little bit of the fern revealed I took my smallest chisel and smallest hammer to split this specimen. Width of left specimen is 5" (approx 100mm) about 25mm of fern was showing initially 

image.thumb.png.9d22d0a8edab7f11d9ead4e074468bd7.png

Nice!  What time period is that from?

Cheers,

Rich

48 minutes ago, stats said:

Nice!  What time period is that from?

Cheers,

Rich

Hi, Rich. It is from what is known locally as the Pennsylvanian Gobbler formation. 

• I found this Informative 3

On 1/11/2019 at 3:54 PM, Kato said:

Hi, Rich. It is from what is known locally as the Pennsylvanian Gobbler formation. 

Is that related to the Kinney Brick Quarry fossils?   I just read about them recently.  Interesting material.

Cheers,

Rich

19 hours ago, stats said:

Is that related to the Kinney Brick Quarry fossils?   I just read about them recently.  Interesting material.

Cheers,

Rich

No, I think we may be about 100 miles physically south and millions of years apart.

Looks like Kinney Brick Quarry is upper Pennsylvanian. The specimens I found are mid-to-lower Pennsylvanian.

image.png.a2d7a6c2d9a4c8847a1dfb99870a6470.png

Anyway, the formation marked on a stratigraphic map indicates it was Gobbler Formation...but I was unable to find any attributions for fern fossils in the Gobbler. Numerous literature references to both cordaites and ferns in the Beeman Formation so the strat map may be in error, though immediately below where I found the ferns I did find the topmost formation associated with the upper Mississippian. Could be a discontinuity in the timeline.

• I found this Informative 4

Whoa very nice.

Yes, Kinney Brick Quarry is youngest Pennsylvanian (Gzhelian) and is more or less equivalent in time to sites like Hamilton, Kansas. As far as I can tell, Gobbler might be correlative with Mazon, or itmay be a bit older, correlating with Joggins or Manning Canyon Shale. I think Manning Canyon Shale, which is now thought to be early Pennsylvanian (=Atokan) might be your best comparison. 

Please please please keep an eye out for any vertebrate fossils, including fish fragments, articulated fish, shark teeth, and tetrapods....we know very little about the vertebrates of the southwest at this time and any such fossils would be incredibly important. I'll do a little more reading and see if I can find any sources on the plants; that may well be the first record there, too.

• I found this Informative 4

20 hours ago, Kato said:

No, I think we may be about 100 miles physically south and millions of years apart.

Looks like Kinney Brick Quarry is upper Pennsylvanian. The specimens I found are mid-to-lower Pennsylvanian.

image.png.a2d7a6c2d9a4c8847a1dfb99870a6470.png

Anyway, the formation marked on a stratigraphic map indicates it was Gobbler Formation...but I was unable to find any attributions for fern fossils in the Gobbler. Numerous literature references to both cordaites and ferns in the Beeman Formation so the strat map may be in error, though immediately below where I found the ferns I did find the topmost formation associated with the upper Mississippian. Could be a discontinuity in the timeline.

Thanks and cool!  Mazon Creek is also Des Moinesian, so somewhat correlated.   Happy Hunting!  Let us know what you find!

Cheers,

Rich

35 minutes ago, jdp said:

Whoa very nice.

Yes, Kinney Brick Quarry is youngest Pennsylvanian (Gzhelian) and is more or less equivalent in time to sites like Hamilton, Kansas. As far as I can tell, Gobbler might be correlative with Mazon, or itmay be a bit older, correlating with Joggins or Manning Canyon Shale. I think Manning Canyon Shale, which is now thought to be early Pennsylvanian (=Atokan) might be your best comparison. 

Please please please keep an eye out for any vertebrate fossils, including fish fragments, articulated fish, shark teeth, and tetrapods....we know very little about the vertebrates of the southwest at this time and any such fossils would be incredibly important. I'll do a little more reading and see if I can find any sources on the plants; that may well be the first record there, too.

On my radar is a trip into the highest levels of the Mississippian (Rancheria) for shark teeth. 

The shale containing fern field is very interesting. It seems to be iron rich. I think it sits on a bed of Camptonite which has altered it. Here is a few other things of interest all obtained from 'whacking' pieces apart)

Fern and Cordaite

image.thumb.png.a4ac5c3b6d59fb899f2c6743943de984.png

image.png.39152fde26aa6468d241440838b5fd21.png

If you are interested in more details, PM me. I think I have about a dozen specimens collected from my 2 trips there.

As I moved west in the field about 50 yards the ferns disappeared and these Liesegang structures began appearing.

5c3d595992535_Small_Liesegangrings.png.7a77ccadfb7e999172873420b5398bde.png

I've yet to be able to spend more than 3 hours there total. It is about a 8 mile RT hike in a remote area. 

Believe me I have been looking for fish, insects, etc. 

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 3

@Kato @stats @jdp

As this discussion had diverged from the original poster's subject, I have split it out and created it's own topic.  :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

@Kato @stats @jdp

As this discussion had diverged from the original poster's subject, I have split it out and created it's own topic.  :) 

Apologies to all. I did not intend to disrupt the 'whack it' thread by my overshare of info in it.

As this now a thread here are more pics. They aren't the best of quality and I've only taken time to photograph about 50% of the specimens.

Tight cluster of ferns (2" x 2")

image.png.2b890af4ce1ff549de079884ef56959b.png

Cordaite leaf approx 5" long

image.png.29d30e917c695e09f5dd705a608d8315.png

A Cordaite panel (3" x 6") and small fern

image.png.6774d0c70808d265cb1c1eee86e07270.png

Two ferns (right one approx 3.5" x 4")

image.png.0c3edbd4148a6dbdfdcc6f3591aec906.png

Very tiny fern leaves (specimen 1" x 1")

image.png.8f98b63d7dc731b1f3e73d19ce7dcf75.png

Very detailed ferns (3" x 4")

image.png.a5834a6fbec08b6fed9ceb4bb0d0af5f.png

This multi-colored Cordaite

image.png

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 3

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

Amazing colors in these pieces!:thumbsu:

You took the words right out of my keyboard!

Such variations , just stunning. And you say you were only there for a very short time?  Think what you could find in a whole day!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

@Kato @stats @jdp

Sorry, good idea!

Cheers,

Rich

10 hours ago, Kato said:

As this now a thread here are more pics. They aren't the best of quality and I've only taken time to photograph about 50% of the specimens.

Tight cluster of ferns (2" x 2")

image.png.2b890af4ce1ff549de079884ef56959b.png

Cordaite leaf approx 5" long

image.png.29d30e917c695e09f5dd705a608d8315.png

A Cordaite panel (3" x 6") and small fern

image.png.6774d0c70808d265cb1c1eee86e07270.png

Two ferns (right one approx 3.5" x 4")

image.png.0c3edbd4148a6dbdfdcc6f3591aec906.png

Very tiny fern leaves (specimen 1" x 1")

image.png.8f98b63d7dc731b1f3e73d19ce7dcf75.png

Very detailed ferns (3" x 4")

image.png.a5834a6fbec08b6fed9ceb4bb0d0af5f.png

This multi-colored Cordaite

image.png

It looks like these are split shale... is that correct?  Very nice!

Cheers,

Rich

On 1/15/2019 at 9:54 AM, caldigger said:

You took the words right out of my keyboard!

Such variations , just stunning. And you say you were only there for a very short time?  Think what you could find in a whole day!

Even down here the winter days have been too short to do more than exploratory visits. Mid-February will hopefully bring a combination of temperate days with an extra hour of sunlight. It typically takes 2 hours just to get to the site over fairly rugged terrain + 2 hrs for the descent with loaded pack = 4 hours. 

All finds are 'float', split via freeze-thaw or via my tools. I've not disturbed the surface.

Have you thought about skydiving into your dig site? 

"Parafossiling" can open up a whole new world of fun! :)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Have you thought about skydiving into your dig site? 

"Parafossiling" can open up a whole new world of fun! :)

Thought about it.  That's me the arrow is pointing too.  Sorry about the bad photo, it's a screen grab from a video.

Don

GA 2004 POPS.jpg

Very nice colors. They are quite striking against that beige/gray background.:wub:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

14 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Gorgeous colors! Is there manganese as well as iron in there?

It is hard to say. Quite possibly. Very dark in appearance with oranges, reds and a definite appearance of hematite on edges of specimens. Edges are interesting and colorful. I should snap some pics to upload.