PSchleis

Ok, I picked up something that looked like this on Myrtle Beach a couple of days ago, held onto it for a few hours, then pitched. Decided it was maybe concretion of some sort.

I wish I hadn't, because I keep thinking this one looks an awful lot like the one I threw out. Thoughts?

It almost looks like three or four short toadstools growing out of a base (it's not, of course - just trying to explain my perspective.)

I tried to get a photo close enough so you can see how the puffy parts connect to the stem (third photo.)

I tried searching for ear drums thinking maybe it was something like that, but didn't find a picture that looks similar.

- Paula

IMG_6642.jpg.56e24b0361b346a368d916e906be3ed7.jpgP1110895.thumb.JPG.a620ebb00cfe9a2c97801b60dae29a21.JPGP1110896.thumb.JPG.a7397ed651d7fa1f504259aadd7c075a.JPGP1110900.thumb.JPG.00f30b0082f24f0fc106f827263bf658.JPG

It is a phosphate nodule. Common in the fossiliferous layers they dredged through, depositing the spoils on the beach during beach renourishment. 

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It's pretending to be a cetacean ear bone though. :)

Haha, would have been nice! But I can buy the nodule explanation. Six more days of beachcombing and I'll be done. It's been quite an education this month!