Oysters! Bbq And Fossilized

FossilForKids

My girlfriend and I have a great place on what is known as Tomales Bay which is part of the Point Reyes National Seashore. I usually go there to relax, kayak, hike and eat some of the finest oysters in the world (not to mention killer tamales!!). However one day I was looking at that website that list all of those POSSIBLE fossile sites all over the U.S. and was suprise to see a spot that was described right were our house was. Now this site has, admittedly, alot of vague and inaccurate information but I've decided to try to eventually try to track them all down. The target was a fossil layer about 1.5 million years old that had at least 47 species of mollusks and gastropods.

Well..they were right. Most of the low sea cliffs between Millerton Point and the Tomales Bay entrance has the layer. As Tomales Bay is currently world reknown for it's oysters (see my two favorite place to buy, BBQ, and eat oysters)it was "oyster dominated" eons ago. The first thing I noticed was the small size of the oysters. In the photo provided all the shells are prehistoric except the large one to the left which is from last week. These photos are just a small sampling of what is there and there are always potential sea mammal stuff as well. I've also found large pieces of Jade and stunning Jasper. So though it may not be the most awe-inspiring of fossil fuanas... when you add the food, scenery, activities, and all around presence of the sea.....it makes for a great destination.

Edited by FossilForKids

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Cool stuff John!

Thanks Sean. Next time you're down I'll take you there if you want.

John

Can't go wrong with a site that's:

A. Close to Home

B. Close to Food

C. Is Full of Fossils and other neat stuff

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Are those shells still displaying mother of pearl?...... Im sure youll end up with a good example of every species now you know about them.... beautiful place to hang out....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Are those shells still displaying mother of pearl?...... Im sure youll end up with a good example of every species now you know about them.... beautiful place to hang out....

Yes many of the oysters still have their Mother of Pearl.

I know the place!

It was a stop on my "Central CA Birding Adventure" tours :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's right it is a big Audobon Society spot. Hears an interesting picture just for you from there.

post-1292-12538945396473_thumb.jpg