Miocene Stromatolite

rebu

Here I have a sample of 

stromatolite which we get here in Czech republic. I am planning to go and try to find some myself but don't know much about them. Here I have a couple of probably silly questions. Are there different species? Are they always being cut? Is there any way to know if it's a good sample before it's cut? Ok, as you can see I really don't know anything about it so any info will be helpful. Sample on the photo is 14x11cm.

20190128_224000.jpg

20190128_223930.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Innocentx said:

The different species would be of the bacteria.

I absolutely refuse to even attempt to read "papers" from a screen, but I suspect it mentions the fact that stromatolites are often more like communities than individuals, so a "species" of them would be a different concept. 

Location of the find(s), formation name may help in the ID.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

28 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Location of the find(s), formation name may help in the ID.

Town Cheb, Czech republic. Miocene formation. 

Q: Are there different species?
A: yes
Q: Are they always being cut?
A: no
Q: Is there any way to know if it's a good sample before it's cut?
A: maybe

Stromatolites were described from the Barrandian of Czech Republic, but not from the Cheb Basin. That not means they are not there, but I can't help you in lack of documentation.

BTW, your specimen is really nice! :)

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Q: Are there different species?
A: yes
Q: Are they always being cut?
A: no
Q: Is there any way to know if it's a good sample before it's cut?
A: maybe

Stromatolites were described from the Barrandian of Czech Republic, but not from the Cheb Basin. That not means they are not there, but I can't help you in lack of documentation.

BTW, your specimen is really nice! :)

Thank you for your info. I will try to get some documentation about this area. I also think this is a nice specimen, small but nice patterns. Looking for much older one now for my collection. Thanks again :)