Post Oak

fossil man

well i made it to post oak last weekend and it was awesome. I hunt a single gravel bar, alone, for like three hours and found a medicine bottle, a smaller (about a 1/3 the size) hotel lotion bottel, and couple in a bag. It was a banner day. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if i would have found my first arrowhead. But i did find my biggest Scapanorhynochus raphlodon, and a ptychodus anonymus (a personal first) and what i believe to be a ptychodus sp. according to welton and farish. Wish i had time to look over the rest of the bars, But believe it or not my wife got tired of shopping. Over all it was a day for my personal record book. There was a great deal more whole, or almost whole teeth compared to a regular hunt down there.

post-137-12539356131623_thumb.jpg

post-137-12539355602117_thumb.jpg

post-137-12539356631496_thumb.jpg

Way to go Fossilman,POC always gives up someting.I like the variety of material that can be found there.The bottles are always a nice addition to the take.

Nice finds What no pictures of the bottles

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Nice finds! I love POC. One of these days I'll make it back there...

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

thats what i get for not proof reading my post. I ment to say that i put my teeth finds in a plastic medicine bottle and a small plastic lotion bottle, all from one gravel bar. I didnt find any whole bottles. Post oak is great for the variety. Thanks for looking

That's a nice bunch of teeth, especially if only during the duration of one shopping trip! So far my first and only P.O.C. hunting was a dual purpose basis too as I drive through Sherman to visit family in OK. That's cool you found a ptychodus anonymous. Having just googled it, I see P. Anonymous are not supposed to exist in the Austin Chalk so you have found something rare.

Ptychodus anonymous are very common in the Kamp Ranch layer here in Denton Co. Hypothetically the same layer would exist in the Sherman area perhaps a mile or two west of P.O.C., but I couldn't tell your for certain or exactly where.. I think it is far enough away that you are not seeing a tooth washed down stream.

In one of the pics I notice what looks like a big cretodus tooth with the blade missing. Oh man, that would have been awesome whole but still a great find as it. Must have been a big shark in its day.

That's a nice bunch of teeth, especially if only during the duration of one shopping trip! So far my first and only P.O.C. hunting was a dual purpose basis too as I drive through Sherman to visit family in OK. That's cool you found a ptychodus anonymous. Having just googled it, I see P. Anonymous are not supposed to exist in the Austin Chalk so you have found something rare.

Ptychodus anonymous are very common in the Kamp Ranch layer here in Denton Co. Hypothetically the same layer would exist in the Sherman area perhaps a mile or two west of P.O.C., but I couldn't tell your for certain or exactly where.. I think it is far enough away that you are not seeing a tooth washed down stream.

In one of the pics I notice what looks like a big cretodus tooth with the blade missing. Oh man, that would have been awesome whole but still a great find as it. Must have been a big shark in its day.

The teeth found at POC don't come from the Austin chalk. They are in a super hard matrix very similar to the kamp ranch matrix. There is a good live exposure right there at the bridge. Last time I was there Jax, Creekcrawler and I were pulling teeth out of the wall, still in matrix.

I'll have to find out what exactly the exposure is there.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

as i recall, geological map shows eagle ford in that area. the only formation i know of that's similar to the kamp ranch unit is the atco contact layer at the top of the eagle ford. but the stuff i've found there isn't the same as what you're finding, sooo...what layer would have all that goblin shark stuff in it?

Here are some pictures of the matrix that some of the shark teeth are coming out of at POC.The matrix specimen that JAX found was similar to this one but much darker.His specimen looked almost like man made concrete. .I have some Kamp Ranch material and this matrix specimen is different.It doesn't have the crushed up Inoceramous pieces that the Kamp ranch does.Weather this piece comes from the Tarrant,Britton,or Arcadia Park formations which make up the Eagle Ford Group....well I'll leave that question up to someone with a little more knowledge on the subject.

post-417-12541572632566_thumb.jpgpost-417-12541572850231_thumb.jpgpost-417-12541573150275_thumb.jpg

The P. anonymus, is the best id i can come up with for its size and the transverse ridges, i originally thought it was P. Mortoni, but since the ridges dont radiate towards the center i ruled that out. I have found teeth and a vert in the concrete looking matrix and a couple of examples in the maxtrix in the picture above. i was thinking egaleford (shooting from the hip). This was probably the best haul i have had. If i had time it would have probably would have been the best haul personally. creek crawler that is a really nice tooth.

Here is a Ptychodus that I am having a hard time identifying.It's a bit worn ,but is clearly not a Whipplei.It does have the concentric rings circling the marginal area,but the cusp is a little worn.Also enclosed is a pic of a nice Enchodus jaw section found at POC.

post-417-12541842746817_thumb.jpgpost-417-12541842874359_thumb.jpgpost-417-12541843043582_thumb.jpg

I think you need to give that place a rest Barry!!:D Man, Im glad to see you came out with another great haul! See ya this weekend!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice finds... You don't have to give up your spots or anything, but could someone tell me if POC is in Texas or Oklahoma? I have tried searching for it and I get results for areas around Ada, Ok and someplace called Fossil Hill in Texas. I am still probably way off.... :blush:

Nice finds... You don't have to give up your spots or anything, but could someone tell me if POC is in Texas or Oklahoma? I have tried searching for it and I get results for areas around Ada, Ok and someplace called Fossil Hill in Texas. I am still probably way off.... :blush:

Hi Paleo, Post Oak Creek is in Sherman Texas. If you go to Google Maps and look South of Sherman you will see the Center Street exit.Just South of there POC runs right under HWY 75.

Ahhhh, ok... that is where the confusion was. I was getting results for Sherman mixed in with the Ada, Ardmore area. Like I said, nice finds. Thanks for the information.

Wow Barry, that large tooth is a nice find. Some sort of "lamna" Mackeral shark I guess, perhaps something rare.

That ptychodus tooth has an interesting wear facet,perhaps mortoni?

My brief time in P.O.C. I was convinced it was "Austin", although I was in a different spot.

I don't think I kept any, but I have collected some rock in the past from the Kef / Kau contact layer in Frisco that was white like that... most would be blue / black but then there would be white sections.

Great post, this is interesting.

Wow Barry, that large tooth is a nice find. Some sort of "lamna" Mackeral shark I guess, perhaps something rare.

I've come to the conclusion that I have a Cretoxyrhina mantelli.There isin't a nutrient groove on this tooth and the Welton/Farish book states that in C.mantelli the nutrient groove isin't developed.It's the best match I can find in my book.Welton/Farish also state that these teeth are very similar to the living Mako Isurus oxyrinchus.

Edited by CreekCrawler

I have yet to get the Welton / Farish book (on my Christmas list). I think the tooth is just a bit different from cretoxyrhina that I've seen, the blade is wider at the base and it is less curved. Well, that is one incentive to keep collecting. You get a few more unique teeth like that and maybe it will be named after you.

I have yet to get the Welton / Farish book (on my Christmas list). I think the tooth is just a bit different from cretoxyrhina that I've seen, the blade is wider at the base and it is less curved. Well, that is one incentive to keep collecting. You get a few more unique teeth like that and maybe it will be named after you.

Hi Tony,look up C.mantelli on Wikepedia. Here are a couple of comparisons.

post-417-12543209036402_thumb.gifpost-417-12543209170298_thumb.jpg

Thanks for link. I see that they get bigger as time progresses so may explains why all of my finds are a lot smaller. (from Kamp Ranch) I see that some of the teeth in the illustration match the shape of yours very closely. For what my novice judgement is worth ;-), I agree with your identification.

I have a few teeth from the Eagle Ford (lower Britton) which is older than middle Turonion (i.e. Kamp Ranch) that the Wikipedia article cites as when C. Mantelli start appearing. Seems like the further back you go C. Mantelli are even smaller, i.e. the C. Mantelli are smaller from lower Britton compared to the ones I have from Kamp Ranch.

Back to the ptychodus anonymous, I found an article explaining how it is used as a marker fossil for middle turonion, i.e, Kamp Ranch. P. anonymous and squalicorax falcatus. I haven't seen anyone post a squalicorax falcatus from P.O.C. though. At least for me the most common tooth for Kamp Ranch.

Edited by Tony Eaton