Texas

steve71

hope you enjoy these are some new finds by me and a friend to bad i didnt find the folsom.maybe now i can get people to believe me about shell tools,ect

post-152-12539857875416_thumb.jpg

post-152-12539858101535_thumb.jpg

post-152-12539858220797_thumb.jpg

post-152-12539858399761_thumb.jpg

post-152-12539858589517_thumb.jpg

post-152-12539858809933_thumb.jpg

post-152-1253985898521_thumb.jpg

post-152-12539859150612_thumb.jpg

hope you enjoy these are some new finds by me and a friend to bad i didnt find the folsom.maybe now i can get people to believe me about shell tools,ect

What's not to believe about shell tools, 'steve71' -- they are not uncommon here in Florida. Columella gouges and chisels and whelk hammers are particularly abundant, especially where adequate chert is not easily acquired.

What is the catalog (a sales catalog?) in your images?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

What's not to believe about shell tools, 'steve71' -- they are not uncommon here in Florida. Columella gouges and chisels and whelk hammers are particularly abundant, especially where adequate chert is not easily acquired.

What is the catalog (a sales catalog?) in your images?

called antler bone and shell artifacts id guide and value by lar hothem

i think everyone knows that shells were used by native americans for various things. the debate comes in regarding whether any given shell has wear, breakage, or modification indicative of its actual use as a tool, and if so, whether the original use really is what modern minds decided it was.

for instance, some will find a shell with obvious predatory gastropod borings into it and decide that it is an artifact. others will find a shell like a conch or whelk that has an small irregular hole in the side, and rightly conclude that a human made the hole, but then do a leap in logic and decide that it was for a handle to make a hammer of the shell. in the absence of other wear or damage to the shell indicating such use, what's wrong with reaching the logical conclusion that a person knocked a hole in the whelk to get the animal out to eat it? some shells probably have fairly strong and tight operculums, and knocking a little hole in the side of the shell might have been the simplest way to deal with it. i saw locals selling conch shells in the caribbean once and every shell had a small hole in it for that reason.

but anyway, it's hard to beat the corpus/port aransas/rockport area for coolness as a hunting ground. just wish i was closer to that area. tj and i have contemplated heading down that direction, and almost always punt on the idea due to distance.

The serrated point in the 2nd from right lower photo, I know someone who found a similar one here in NW Arkansas, and he theorized it was for spearing fish. Possible? Stunning stuff, BTW!

Neat finds! I've probably passed over many artifacts while out looking simply because I'm concentrating on something else.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/