Trip To Black Cat Mountain

PaleoPutz

I thought I would share some of the details from an amazing trip I had today. Some of you may have seen the thread I posted in the Q&A section seeking advice on collecting equipment. Well, I knew I was going trilobite hunting, but I didn't know I was going to Black Cat Mountain until this morning. All I can say is that the trip was epic. This is the site that is leased and operated by Bob Caroll. Anyone that is familiar with trilobites knows that Bob is a legend in the field of Oklahoma trilobite collection and preparation.

Bob was an awesome host and treated us very well. We got a tour of his shop and preparation area, as well as, his incredible stock of specimens. He is getting ready for the Tuscon show so he is keeping busy and many of his shelves are stuffed. I also got a copy of a book featuring Bob and the trilobites he collects (at a great price). He was gracious enough to sign one of the pages featuring him working in his shop. I will post info on the book later in the appropriate section.

After the tour we were given pretty much free access to the quarry. I have never seen anything like it. There were fossils everywhere. I will admit that I haven't been on many trips, but I couldn't believe how rich those rocks were in fossil material. We were able to collect pretty much anything, whether by busting rock, or surface hunting. I came away with several nice pieces of different trilobites, brachiopods, cephalopods, and even some crinoid. Most of the exposed fossils were fragmented and broken. However, we found several complete bugs simply laying on the ground. I really was in awe from the time I got there until I left. We were literally walking on palm sized pieces of Huntonia spp. and various brachiopods that made up the rock "roadway." It was a surreal experience.

Here are some photos:

This is a photo of the quarry as we got out of our cars. It was sort of humorous that as soon as we got out, we all immediately started bending over and picking stuff up. It was everywhere.

This photo shows a good representation of what most of the rocks were like. Almost every rock would have pieces of trilobite and brachiopod.

This is one of the more interesting fossils I found. This is a disarticulated Huntonia sp. (probably oklahomae). What was interesting was that the frontal ornament or "nose" was extending up and out from the matrix, yet it was still intact. A good example of a palm sized bug. There are remains of several other critters as well. This was left in the matrix.

Here is a photo of a crinoid that I found. Our guide told us it was rare to find them like that in as good of a condition.

Finally, a view of the quarry looking down the hill. The quarry is basically a long winding roadway going uphill. In the lowered valley area thousands of trilobites and brachs wash down. This is where I spent most of my time. You can find lots of good stuff weathered out in that area.

It really was an amazing trip. I never thought I would be in position of passing up so many fossil in search of better ones. I spent most of my time surface collecting because I don't have the tools, or the skill, to do that great prep that Bob does. I didn't come home with any museum grade specimens. What I thought was really cool was just being around all of those bugs. It's impossible to imagine all of the incredible specimens that were within feet of me hidden in all of that rock. It was definitely a trip to remember.

post-1234-12540315644935_thumb.jpg

post-1234-1254031583147_thumb.jpg

post-1234-12540316049337_thumb.jpg

post-1234-12540316283254_thumb.jpg

post-1234-12540316539232_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaleoPutz

Thanks... Somehow the photos got messed up. The last photo at the bottom shouldn't be there and should go where the photo is duplicated at the top. I can't get the editor to work.

Thanks... Somehow the photos got messed up. The last photo at the bottom shouldn't be there and should go where the photo is duplicated at the top. I can't get the editor to work.

How can I help? :)

Ah, ok, I edited my post to see what is going on. See where it says show all. There is a little gray box. If you move your cursor to it it should turn a darker gray. Click on that.

Then click the blue bar Submit Modified Post :)

Hopefully that helps :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I give up..I couldn't get the full editor to work correctly. The quick editor displays the correct names, but when I submit they get jumbled. Whatever it was, it ruined my dumb post... :wacko:

Anyway, if you read the descriptions of the photos:

The first description goes with the second photo at the bottom.

The second description goes with the fifth photo at the bottom.

The third description goes with the fourth photo at the bottom.

The fourth description goes with the first photo at the bottom.

The fifth description goes with third photo at the bottom.

I love also Bob's bugs. I have ca. 10 different trilobite species from BCM. You are probably talking Hansen's book Trilobites of Black Cat mountains. It is wonderful book. :)

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Wow! What a place to not know that you are going to. Great to see some field photos of it. It is on my list of places to make it to in the next year or so. I met George Hansen earlier this year. He came to our club in Houston for a presentation. He had some amazing photos and specimens. Also got a signed copy of his book.

Great report, I read it earlier but didn't comment. It sounds like you had a blast, I must put this site on a "must go" list.

I love also Bob's bugs. I have ca. 10 different trilobite species from BCM. You are probably talking Hansen's book Trilobites of Black Cat mountains. It is wonderful book. :)

Yes, that is the book. Bob was nice enough to sign page 306 for me.

Wow! What a place to not know that you are going to. Great to see some field photos of it. It is on my list of places to make it to in the next year or so. I met George Hansen earlier this year. He came to our club in Houston for a presentation. He had some amazing photos and specimens. Also got a signed copy of his book.

Yes indeed, one of the best surprises I have ever had. Dr. Hansen also has a fantastic website on the area.... http://blackcatmountain.com/

An epic trip to a legendary site!

Thanks for the report <drools>, and congratulations :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here are some photos of what I actually came home with. If you look closely at some of the slabs you can see some noses poking through. I have some stuff to work on. All of this stuff was basically found by me just flicking rocks on the surface. I could have loaded up a lot more, but I didn't want to be greedy. I am happy with what I found. Nothing is world class... The real prize for me was just being there.

Some of the really cool stuff was what Bob had sitting on the sides. If something is incomplete he would set it aside while he waited to try and find the other part of the rock that went with it. I can only imagine how long that could take. He had a 3-4 inch Reedops that was missing a piece of its exo. It was the biggest I have seen from that area. Our guide told us that they were trying to find the rock that had that little piece on it. There was also a cephalopod the size of my lower leg... Amazing stuff. I wish I snapped a few photos of them, but I forgot.

post-1234-1254095284849_thumb.jpg

post-1234-12540953031701_thumb.jpg

post-1234-12540953245432_thumb.jpg

There was a somber addition to the trip. We learned that some of the actual landowners may not be necessarily thrilled with the fossil farm. It seems that the Carrolls are a little concerned they might not be able to renew the lease in a few years. It would be a shame for a site like this to close down. Those fossils shouldn't be lost.

I have always wondered about that place... Great to see

what it looks like. Most all trilos are in matrix it

looks like. May have to make that trip one of these days..

May have to make it sooner than later sounds like.

About the pics not going in order. I had one pic that I moved

maybe four times to where I wanted it. As soon as I closed the screen and

reopened, it was right back where I removed it from. Never did figure it out.

The rest of the pics had the courtesy to stay where I put them.

Welcome to the forum!

Yup , Bob is a great host and glad to hear he has the shop almost finished .

It is amazing isn't it , fossils everywhere underfoot .

Ever time we go I just stand in awe and amazement of the site .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !