Whole black Ammonite, is it real?

Tricky_Tink

I picked these up today for super cheap and would like to gift them to a picky collector I know. Color is actually very black pictures seem to lighten it significantly. If any of you have any knowledge on these I'd appreciate your opinion. I also got 2 little ones from same man liquidating his deceased aunts house along with a really great vacuum! The large one is whole. The 2 pieces are 3" each and are only halves

fossil1.jpg

fossil2.jpg

fossil3.jpg

fossil4.jpg

fossil5.jpg

I see nothing suggesting that they aren't real.  I would think the septa between the chambers would be incredibly difficult to fake anyhow.  Also, I don't think I've ever even heard of a completely faked ammonite, though I'm sure some probably exist.

Very real. Fyi, they have been polished to enhance their look.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

I don't think I've ever even heard of a completely faked ammonite, though I'm sure some probably exist.

Case in point-  

Age- mid. Nineteen Eighties

Location- Fiberglass Formation, Home Decor Member.

There are a lot of fakes out there geared toward the interior decorating / home goods field.

Yours on the other hand are quite real though.

20190213_191332.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Ammonites are a very common fossil so not fakes here, yours are from Madagascar and have been polished. A nice addition to any collection :)

Thank you. I had seen some before but not black and not so large so it made me think it was carved stone of some type. I'm glad I came here to ask! 

Yup. I concur. You probably got a great deal on some nice ammonites and cleaned up on a vacuum as well. :P

Again, welcome to the forum. I hope your interest in fossils goes beyond just this question--Florida has lots of great fossil hunting opportunities.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1