Dig And They Will Come

sharkdentist

The new arrival of my little girl has taken its toll on the old sharkdentist and my fossil hunting down in the lowcountry of South Carolina. But as I posted awhile back a buddy of my has a big tract of land about 5 min from my house and I have been able to get out and look for some arrowheads. Ozzyrules came down from North carolina to hunt with me also to find some points. As you can see from the pics, I have done alright over the last week or so. I can not wait to get back to hunting some fossil's in the next couple of weeks the longest point in the pics is 4 inches and the biggest scrapper is about as big as your hand the item that looks like a " t " is a drill. As fun as this was I am ready to sift in the creeks and find some more fossil's as digging in the field in summer it was hot this will be my winter hunting grounds when to cold for the creeks.

post-1253-12541655505152_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12541655596382_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12541655672833_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12541655765285_thumb.jpg

That's awesome! I wish I had a place like that!

And, it's never too cold for the creeks :P That's what chest waders are for :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Looks like success in the fields! Do you have a close-up of the light point just off-center in the last pic?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Looks like success in the fields! Do you have a close-up of the light point just off-center in the last pic?

which one I can get you another pic of it. I am not sure which one you are talking about.

which one I can get you another pic of it. I am not sure which one you are talking about.

This one... :)

post-420-12541682482604_thumb.jpg

That's awesome! I wish I had a place like that!

And, it's never too cold for the creeks :P That's what chest waders are for :D

I'll second that!

And what type of chest waders do you recommend?

This one... :)

post-420-12541682482604_thumb.jpg

Here is a few more pics two of the front and one of the back. Do you see anything rare or of value I know about fossil nothing on arrowheads... thanks for any info

post-1253-12541692509643_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12541692645493_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12541692724483_thumb.jpg

The base of a point is usually a diagnostic key. A macro shot with the base not covered :) would be interesting. Is the material "sugar" quartz?

The base of a point is usually a diagnostic key. A macro shot with the base not covered :) would be interesting. Is the material "sugar" quartz?

it seems to be sugar quartz and there is a ton of quartz in this area that we are hunting by the handfulls the points I also found what some people say might be a paint bowl and a grinding stone I will give you pics of them also. Did you see anything of value in the pics...?

it seems to be sugar quartz and there is a ton of quartz in this area that we are hunting by the handfulls I also found what some people say might be a paint bowl and a grinding stone I will give you pics of them also. Did you see anything of value in the pics...?

Here is the grinding stone and possible paint bowl johnj what you think?

post-1253-12541702400885_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12541702507859_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12541702583841_thumb.jpg

I've found exactly TWO complete points in NW Arkansas/SW Missouri, and at least a hundred pieces. :angry:

However, i was fortunate enough to find a nice pestle. Location now: unknown :angry::angry::angry:

Here is the grinding stone and possible paint bowl johnj what you think?

The "bowl" looks geologic in origin; the other could be a hammerstone. A lot depends on the context of where they were found. Sharper pics would help. :)

NICE !!!!!! we will be hitting the fields hard next time I come down You need to come up and look up here in NC. I am still looking through all the pottery I found when we hunted last Thanks for taking me !!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

The "bowl" looks geologic in origin; the other could be a hammerstone. A lot depends on the context of where they were found. Sharper pics would help. :)

this is the best pics I can get what do you think JohnJ ?

post-1253-12542431374035_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12542431465059_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12542431573443_thumb.jpg

post-1253-12542431645669_thumb.jpg

Tough call, SD. It has some paleo characteristics, but it also appears broken...still a very nice find. It will help if you can find a book with good archaeological references for your area. You may find something to research in THIS.