Help with Identification

DebRae

• New Members

Can someone tell me what this might be?  I found it on top of a ridge about 50 feet from the Pedernales River.  I live 4 miles outside of Johnson City, Texas on a small ranch.  At first I thought it was a boot print of some sort, but it looks too oval-shaped and symmetrical to be a boot print.  It weighs about 5 lbs. It's not concrete.  We live on a small ranch and it was in a pasture nowhere near where any manmade concrete would be.   I have looked in the area where I found this piece and found a small broken piece of what looks like it may have the same markings as this.  

Any ideas would be helpful.  

20190220_122731.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with a geologic origin

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Go here https://www.twdb.texas.gov/groundwater/aquifer/GAT/ and look at the Llano Sheet. See if you can figure out what rock formation you are in. Although the majority of the rocks in the Hill Country are Cretaceous in age there are a lot of outcrops of older Paleozoic rocks in and around JC. 

The educated guess above that this is just a neatly weathered nodule is a good one. But if you are in one of the Ordovician units then maybe we are looking at a weathered stromatolite.