Lyme Regis

Terry Dactyll

Im just back from Lyme Regis in Dorset and just when you run out of nautilus to prep, I found another two.... ;)... The first is another large Lyme one about 12" or so across, and I also found a large Coroniceras type ammonite whilst I was there... They are getting pretty scarce so when I got one with a decent chunk of rock on it for a free standing specimen I was well happy.... this section of Lyme regis is Lower Jurassic and consists of alternating dark grey shales and light grey limestones and represents the Sinemurian Stage of the Lower Jurassic System....

The alternating layers...

post-1630-12542296448233_thumb.jpg

I suspect theres a decent ammonite in here...

post-1630-12542295475188_thumb.jpg

Breaking the rock down to move and a chunk pops off showing me the orientation of it...Its all there and looking decent calcite

post-1630-12542295756334_thumb.jpg

Heres a North Somerset Coast Nautilus..... I had to get this one prepped straight away.. It has the typical characteristics of the Cenoceras obesum that you find at Lyme and is of the same age Sinemurian.....I have never even heard of one let alone seen a calcitic nautilus off this coast... so its pretty scarce I would imagine..... The interesting thing about this is the calcite is about 6 mm thick... and I know this as the other side is sea worn not far off the centre line of the fossil, so due to its unusual preservation it was worth some.. 'extra effort' ...and what I had to do was to collect another nice chunk of the same matrix it came in... then partially prep all around the perimiter of the nautilus and then fix it to the new rock when I had carved as a good match for the surface of the rock and fossil profile...... then finish off prepping the rest of the rock off.... Ive never had to do this before... so it was ...'interesting'....and im very happy with the end result.....

post-1630-12542297290981_thumb.jpg

North Somerset Coast .....Cenoceras obesum (Natural Somerset Colours).... 3 1/2"...

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

"Happy with the end result" he says...

Gotta' love that Brit understatement!

BTW Terry, any time you feel the urge to post pics of these world-famous sites, please don't hesitate!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

First rate, Steve. I hope the view down the shore was not the direction you had to hike back with your finds... ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Auspex.... Thanks and Will do.... I wanted to photograph the ammonite pavement, but I had to take my camera out of the rucksack pocket so it didnt get crushed when i went to 'tip the first rock out'... and forgot to put it back in...so maybe next time I will remember and take some more shots....

Worthy & Bill.... Thanks for your interest...

JohnJ.... Its about the same in the opposite direction, although the Lyme Nautilus came from round there, and I have had many a hike gritting my teeth over them rocks... ;)

Heres the big ammonite... you cant miss it really....

post-1630-12542345202526_thumb.jpg

Heres the Lyme Nautilus.... Unprepped.... and its landed on the bench lol...

post-1630-12542345684056_thumb.jpg post-1630-12542345886053_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)