Yet Another Phytosaur Prep

Ptychodus04

6 hours ago, Kane said:

It's going to be a sad day when you're done and have to give it to the client after all the time you've spent on this. It seems the more hours you spend on a project like this, the more of a "bond" you develop with the specimen!

Yep. It’s a part of the family at this point. 

I got got to spend another hour on it this morning.

5AA729EF-C9B8-4F5E-87D9-374921846E39.thumb.jpeg.e9639d6f9030c20edad6d6f04946e209.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

A thought occurred to me while I was working on the skull yesterday since I was playing around by the supratemporal fenestrae.

One of the first rules of prepping is to not work in a hole. You want to scribe the matrix down and a fairly even rate. It occurred to me that it is impossible to follow this rule and prep a fenestra. :P

Free time for the mind is yet another reason prepping is a dangerous thing.

16 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

A thought occurred to me while I was working on the skull yesterday since I was playing around by the supratemporal fenestrae.

One of the first rules of prepping is to not work in a hole. You want to scribe the matrix down and a fairly even rate. It occurred to me that it is impossible to follow this rule and prep a fenestra. :P

Free time for the mind is yet another reason prepping is a dangerous thing.

The mind tends to wander during a long prep, for sure! 

But, I suppose it would not be a violation of the rule if you were scribing the matrix down evenly within the (necessary) hole. It's all about perspective. :P 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

The mind tends to wander during a long prep, for sure! 

But, I suppose it would not be a violation of the rule if you were scribing the matrix down evenly within the (necessary) hole. It's all about perspective. :P 

Leave it to the professor to come up with a qualifying loophole! :default_rofl:

I’m 61 hours in now and I’m getting tired of sticky matrix! :default_faint:

Most of the work has been on the posterior still with the exception of clearing off the dorsal surface of the skull for a break from the tedium in the back.

37B59701-C141-4999-85DE-DAFC8264CE7E.thumb.jpeg.d7039c22461021bf16aa29674a4e3edb.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

@Ptychodus04 You're doing a brilliant job - love how that skull is coming along :D

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

3 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Beautiful!

1 hour ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

@Ptychodus04 You're doing a brilliant job - love how that skull is coming along :D

-Christian

Thanks. It’s progressing. This is now my second longest prep project. :D

Are you planning to restore any areas of the skull? Are you just leaving it as is? Filling in the gaps? Or perhaps restoring like the one quadrate and snout tip and such?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

14 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Are you planning to restore any areas of the skull? Are you just leaving it as is? Filling in the gaps? Or perhaps restoring like the one quadrate and snout tip and such?

The owner of this beauty doesn’t like any restoration on his fossils so this is a prep and stabilize project only.

• I found this Informative 2

Wow!  So much work!  Lookin real good though.   Also, you say your getting tired of sticky matrix.  After you get all these crab concretions from me, your going to hate me.  I was nice knowin you though.  :)

RB

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

Wow!  So much work!  Lookin real good though.   Also, you say your getting tired of sticky matrix.  After you get all these crab concretions from me, your going to hate me.  I was nice knowin you though.  :)

RB

Thanks Ron.

This was just a refresher course in Preparator Patience 101. I've had matrix that was glued in place come off easier than some of this stuff! There's places where I had to lay my stylus on its side and wear the matrix down to the bone rather than actually scribe it off because it was so sticky!

I was under the impression that all the concretions you have for me are already fully prepped... :P :default_rofl:

Really fantastic work mate . It looks amazing now and I can’t believe it is the same material. :)

31 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Really fantastic work mate . It looks amazing now and I can’t believe it is the same material. :)

Thanks Bobby. I knew I had turned a corner on the prep when Mrs. Ptychodus recognized it as a skull. :P

22 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

There's places where I had to lay my stylus on its side and wear the matrix down to the bone rather than actually scribe it off because it was so sticky!

This is exactly how I prep many of the crabs I do. 

RB

On 5/31/2019 at 6:33 AM, RJB said:

RB

Same some of those for me!!! :-)

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Coming along nicely and starting to make me feel guilty for not getting stuck into the partial ichthyosaur skull sitting in my shed.

Mike

@Ptychodus04 the best things in life aren't free. In this case it's your time that's being spent! Keep working through that sticky madness! :popcorn:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda