Still_human

10 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

The rib looks pretty cool. But all those teeth and the two vertebrae look like they've been tampered with. I think most of these are composites. I would pass on the teeth and vertebrae.

Could you point out what you're seeing suspicious on the verts?

10 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Indeed hard to tell. It seems like there's been some "repair" and these photos, even the newer ones are simply not good enough to tell what has been done with the piece. Some of the photos do look a little like the base of the skull, but the others do look quite random. Without better photos I would pass on this one as well.

Thanks for the help on all of those, they're very useful! Can you point out what looks repaired? Do you think just repaired, or actually partially fake/filled in?

1 hour ago, Still_human said:

Could you point out what you're seeing suspicious on the verts?

The processes look added on.

1 hour ago, Still_human said:

Thanks for the help on all of those, they're very useful! Can you point out what looks repaired? Do you think just repaired, or actually partially fake/filled in?

The photos are inconclusive to tell. But that dark redish crust looks like filling that's not natural. This is common for both rough repairs and composites.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On 3/2/2019 at 4:58 PM, LordTrilobite said:

The processes look added on.

The photos are inconclusive to tell. But that dark redish crust looks like filling that's not natural. This is common for both rough repairs and composites.

Wow, yeah, I see what you mean:/

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 7:05 PM, Still_human said:

Here's some more pictures of "the thing"

IMG_9353.PNG

IMG_9354.PNG

IMG_9355.PNG

IMG_9356.PNG

IMG_9357.PNG

I just wanted to bring these particular couple things to the top, since there's so many things on here. This one is boggling my mind. The more I look at it, the less I can see of it. Other than the angle in the fifth picture, which reminds me of the back of a skull, I can't make heads or tails of it(literally!).

It's a very interesting thing. 

But the problem with Kem Kem is it isn't properly described, even more 'obvious' specimens like teeth and vertebrae are very hard to pin down exactly. 

This sort of bone is probably not identifiable beyond 'chunkosaurus' for now.

But hopefully, things will change as more proper research is carried out, so you may get an answer in ten years! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The other one is this--I'm thinking it's the back of a jaw, towards the hinge. Again, these were possibly from Kem Kem, but I feel like the best I could safely say is that they're from Morocco, although I have a strong suspicion that sellers of fossil lots from Morocco may possibly include things collected from surrounding areas, how far depending on how many steps a fossil has gone through.

IMG_9457.PNG

On 3/2/2019 at 1:05 AM, Still_human said:

Here's some more pictures of "the thing"

IMG_9356.PNG

Looking at this again I see that this is a fish braincase.

• I found this Informative 2

On 3/21/2019 at 3:40 AM, LordTrilobite said:

Looking at this again I see that this is a fish braincase.

Very cool, How can you tell, what cinches it for you? Is there any chance you might have some idea what kind?

I have a few fish braincases from Kem Kem. Very similar. This specimen has a lot of stuff on it though. After a good clean it might be easier to identify. But I'm not much of a fish guy anyway.

3 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

I have a few fish braincases from Kem Kem. Very similar. This specimen has a lot of stuff on it though. After a good clean it might be easier to identify. But I'm not much of a fish guy anyway.

Awesome, thank you so much!!!

Do you have any pictures of yours?

6 minutes ago, Still_human said:

Awesome, thank you so much!!!

Do you have any pictures of yours?

Just the one.

On 3/23/2019 at 2:30 PM, LordTrilobite said:

Just the one.

I can definitely see a connection between the two. Thank you very much:)

On 2/25/2019 at 8:45 AM, Still_human said:

These seem HUUUUUUGE to me, are they as unusually large as I think they are? 

IMG_9301.PNG

IMG_9302.PNG

Top ones are spectacular if real   (Or even if fake!)!  @Boesse

That basilosaurid tooth is large, but it is very incomplete. It should not be symmetrical; the roots are fake, and up to 1/3 of the crown must be sculpted (inaccurately).

On 21-3-2019 at 4:12 AM, Still_human said:

The other one is this--I'm thinking it's the back of a jaw, towards the hinge. 

I think this is a crocodile scapula. I see why you think this is the back of a jaw but this doesn't resemble one in my opinion. 

Picture below shows the scapula of Sarcosuchus imperator from Niger. It's blurry since I had to enlarge the picture.

image.png.c9fc37cad140decfa165a04c75bd0137.png

There are quite a few crocodiles in the Kem Kem beds. Size might help to determine this a bit more.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:45 PM, gigantoraptor said:

I think this is a crocodile scapula. I see why you think this is the back of a jaw but this doesn't resemble one in my opinion. 

Picture below shows the scapula of Sarcosuchus imperator from Niger. It's blurry since I had to enlarge the picture.

image.png.c9fc37cad140decfa165a04c75bd0137.png

There are quite a few crocodiles in the Kem Kem beds. Size might help to determine this a bit more.

Can you point out which part? I definitely do see places in that picture where theres a very similar shape, but I THINK the piece in question is unbroken along the length, and only broken at the ends, which makes it not match up with the places I can see, afterall.