Official Fotm Sept

Phoenixflood

Hi everyone :)

We have decided to give a little space between the voting of MOTM and FOTM. You will have till the 7th to choose your best find from September. I encourage everyone partipating to include the name of your find, the date it was discovered, and perhaps a narrative about your discovery This will help us greatly in choosing fossils for the poll that will come after the 7th. We will only include what you provide. If you have posted a fossil in another thread for FOTM please repost it here.

You may only post ONE fossil per person. If you post more than one we will not consider either. It must have been found in SEPTEMBER for it to be eligable! :)

With that said let's see some great entries :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

here is my entry,

Amecephalus laticaudum (Resser 1939a)

Spence Shale member, Middle Cambrian

Brigham City, Utah

this is a pretty rare bug. the coolest thing about this one is the coloration. the grey areas are not missing the shell is clear or grey in those areas. the black color is natural as well. most the time you find them and they are all black or just an imprint. the pygidum is folded under but there. one of the coolest trilobites i have personally found.

found Sept. 12th and prepped on the 30th.

Brock

post-37-12544094012906_thumb.jpg

post-37-12544094157935_thumb.jpg

post-37-12544094339442_thumb.jpg

Here's my entry... Found 9/11/09. This tooth is one of the upper teeth from an animal that I found the mandibles to a few years ago. Of the 12 teeth that this animal had, I've been able to account for 11 of them, the other tooth is still down there somewhere. We have found some smilodon teeth at this site, so I wasn't looking for the (then) 2 missing mastodon teeth, but didn't complain about finding this mastodon tooth. This one will probably stay in my collection for a while.

post-151-12544209695595_thumb.jpg

post-151-12544209830078_thumb.jpg

post-151-12544210011475_thumb.jpg

post-151-1254421015053_thumb.jpg

Edited by PrehistoricFlorida

Nate, that thing cleaned up beautifully!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nate, that thing cleaned up beautifully!

Thanks. I was hoping it would have a little more orange, but it's better than brown. The teeth that were in the jaws were bright orange, just beautiful teeth.

As Requested, heres a little information about the find and I have transferred it across....was found and collected last saturday (26th?) .... I know a few collectors who have put some time in on the North Somerset Coast, and as far as I know this is a 'one off'.... a calcified nautilus hasnt been discovered there previously and none of the museums seem to have any decent 3d ammonite material off the coast, for comparison.... finding 'good specimens' from this coast is a labour of love and requires a lot of patience as the rocks are very fragmentary in the cliffs and very often your finding only pieces for your efforts... and prepping it, the rock has a mind of its own..... I couldnt wait to get prepping this fossil purely to see what colour the calcite preservation was, to compare it to other outcrops of the same age....It took me around 10 hours to prep.... but its up there with my favourate finds from this year.....

Cenoceras obesum ....Lower Jurassic... Sinemurian... North Somerset Coast 3 1/2"

post-1630-12544718844751_thumb.jpg post-1630-12544719089514_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Great finds everyone.. I don't know if mine compares but here goes.

Kettneraspis williamsi

Black Cat Mountain

Oklahoma

Devonian

Found on September 26th

I found this nice bug during my trip to Haragan and Bois d' Arc in southern Oklahoma. I was mostly surface hunting that day so I didn't really expect to find anything on the more rare side of the spectrum. We saw many of the usual suspects: Kainops, Paciphacops, Huntonia, and a very few Reedops. We found a couple sets of "horns" from Dicranurus. Most of the trilobites on the surface were fragmentary or damaged. However, there were more than a few nice ones as well. When I found this trilobite it was towards the end of the trip. We were gathering our stuff and starting to wander back down towards the cars. As I was walking back to my bucket I was, of course, looking over the surface for anything else worth a look. I saw this piece of matrix with two dark dots poking out. I picked it up and knew right away it was a tilobite. It was mostly covered with matrix, but I saw a couple thoracic segments and the eyes. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I knew it didn't much look like the more common species. So I brought it home and with my mediocre prepping I found a Kettneraspis in much better shape than I would expect. The larger spines and subspines on one side are mostly intact. On the right side they are pretty damaged. When I uncovered the pygidium I was nicely surprised by finding most of the small spines intact there as well. The granular surface structures are nicely preserved too. This trilobite is fairly small overall. I don't think it was anyhwere near adult size yet.

Well that's my story... No matter what I find in the future, I'm sure this will be one of the finds I am most proud of. Considering it was a surface find I don't think it gets much better for someone like me.

I have taken new photos to show my most recent progress. The small areas of matrix remaining are proving difficult to remove.

post-1234-1254605519964_thumb.jpg post-1234-12546055395124_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking... Good luck everyone.

Edited by PaleoPutz

Digonella with brachydium and Crinoids Millericrinus horridus stems

Fossil found on 19 september i found it in a field in an area known for that oxfordian layer but not as concentrated as this !

generally when i have a piece showing some crinoids these are the first i dissolve in muriatic acid.

Preparation was done on 26 september consisting on laying the piece in an acid muriatic bath and following the dissolution till it looks good...In that case i saw that terebratula Digonella sp, it was broken on its side...i knew that the inside would have been dissolved but i wasn't waiting to find a complete brachydium!!! I'm not a brachiopod collector but this ones stays in collection !

accumulationcrinoideset.th.jpg

brachydium.th.jpg

I could just pinch myself.......

Dakoticancer australis

Corsicana Formation

South Texas

Maastrichtian Stage

68 MYA

Found 9/30/09

This booger presented itself with just a claw poking out of the ground. The specimen came out in chunks, and I accidentlly left one of the claws on the exposure, so I got up well before daylight the next day before work, hauled butt over to the exposure with my flashlight, and found the claw, getting to work about on time. You'll hear more about this flashlight bidness soon enough.....

post-22-12547907522094_thumb.jpg

post-22-12547907703799_thumb.jpg

post-22-1254790781243_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Dan, thats a nice one!!

I have hunted in the dark with the flashlight myself! Couldnt leave the rich Kamp Ranch....;)

Looks like one of your best, pardner. You shouldn't have eaten the other legs.... :o

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Remember to get your September fossils in! :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.