Hell Creek Theropod Bone

PalaeoArt

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help to try and better ID this bone I collected on a Hell Creek Microsite last Summer. This was only an isolated bone and as you can see isn't complete. The length of the bone is just under 10" and the width is 4" at it's narrow point. It's a fairly flat bone with curved-edges on both sides. It's also hollow as you'll see from the photos of the end. The owner of the ranch said it had a very similar pitting on the surface to other t-rex bones they'd found on the site. This microsite produces plenty of T-rex, Nano, Hadrosaur and Triceratops material. It might of course be impossible to ID due to it's incomplete nature. It is however a pretty large chunk of bone so there are only a few bones that it could be. I was thinking it could be part of a theropod scapula due to the flat near-rectangular shape of this. Any thoughts? 

Tom

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

I don't see a theropod bone what I see is a large herbivore bone, possibly one of the pelvis bones, possibly the pubis bone.  Its size says possibly Ceratopsian (Trike).

The cavities you see at both ends is normal decay/ insect activity etc. Hollow bones from Theropods are thin walled.

• I found this Informative 5

1 hour ago, PalaeoArt said:

a Hell Creek Microsite last Summer.

1 hour ago, PalaeoArt said:

This microsite produces plenty of T-rex, Nano, Hadrosaur and Triceratops material.

Just to know, where is that microsite?

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

16 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Just to know, where is that microsite?

-Christian

I think if he told you he would have to kill you.  That's what I do when I tell people where my microsites are.... : )

(I don't know if the phrase is common in France, but it is here... "If I told you I would have to kill you"... meaning it is a secret).

I agree with troodon... this is not a theropod  bone.  We get that sort of pitting on many bones in the Lance Fm (which is hell Creek equivalent).  I also agree that a pelvis piece is a good guess.  

• I found this Informative 2

50 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Site looks like a channel deposit in Powder River County, Montana :o

or dozens, if not hundreds, of other Hell Creek microsites in eastern Montana.... : )

13 minutes ago, jpc said:

or dozens, if not hundreds, of other Hell Creek microsites in eastern Montana.... : )

Of course just giving "The amateur paleontologist" a locality :D

On 3/7/2019 at 4:22 PM, Troodon said:

I don't see a theropod bone what I see is a large herbivore bone, possibly one of the pelvis bones, possibly the pubis bone.  Its size says possibly Ceratopsian (Trike).

The cavities you see at both ends is normal decay/ insect activity etc. Hollow bones from Theropods are thin walled.

Thanks Frank. That makes a lot of sense. I certainly found a number of Trike teeth that day too.

On 3/7/2019 at 6:31 PM, Troodon said:

Site looks like a channel deposit in Powder River County, Montana :o

How did you guess!!

39 minutes ago, PalaeoArt said:

How did you guess!!

Landowner happen to have the initials F.C.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Landowner happen to have the initials F.C.

Bingo.

1 minute ago, PalaeoArt said:

Bingo.

Well I know the ranch very well and the giveaway was the photo with the knife.  It's his standard issue to all guest needing one.